Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a long shot

But will any insurance cover the left hand side ligament once the right and ligament has had surgery

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
They should do, but they just won't cover an existing injury - so if only one leg is affected then only one will be excluded.

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
I'd say it depends on whether both ligaments having a problem is diagnosed as being the same condition by the vet (in which case it could be a continuing ongoing claim to have other ligament done?) or separate condition (which could be a new claim.)

Without calling insurers with the specific info and maybe getting evidence from vet to back up either scenario it'll be difficult to say IMO.

When it was thought the insurers weren't paying for Luna's HD due to her already suffering ED, her specalist was great in providing evidence that that was not the situation... turned out an admin error with dates had caused the problem in the end... phew! Always worth looking into things and fighting your corner a bit!

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I don't want to doubt Christines logic regarding second leg being covered following a previous claim for ligament repair on first leg, but just wanted to say if it was me I would ask up front before assuming second leg has no pre-existing problem.
The reason being is my vet did warn me it was possible that Mischa could have a cruciate problem on her good leg after last years TTA surgery on her torn cruciate, it seems sometimes it can be caused by normal injury or wear and tear, but can also be a fault in her gene, ie the shape of the bone structure she was born with could be the reason for instability round the knee and ligaments.
Don't quote me as it was quite a while ago when it was explained to me, fortunately her second leg seems fine at moment [touching wood] but am cautious now with the sort of activities we do when out an about.

June

·
Registered
98 Posts
Entirely dependant on vets report re condition and underwriters.

As above if 1 leg has had ligament issue the other is almost certain to have had more strain put on it and that in itself is a risk.

As said call up insurers and ask them to check with an underwriter re coverage on policy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts