Labradors Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've bought Chewy a Kong but I must confess I don't really know what to do with it - never had one before. :oops:

I tried holding back a handful of her breakfast (dry food) and filling it with that and then blocking the end up with a bit of peanut butter (is peanut butter fattening btw?) but it took her less than a minute to demolish it! :roll:

Chewy is on a diet to loose 2 kg so I need to fill it with no fat health.

It's not a huge Kong, fits about a handful of stuff inside.

Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
What we found fantastic was mashing up carrot, bit of mince and some spud and filling Kong and then freezing it.
Give it 5 mins before handing to Judy and she's on it for a good half hour.

Alternative was the big bit's of kibble taken from dinner and then end of Kong blocked with a carrot top.

Judy lost 4Kg this way

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
I put the kong in a plastic cup, half fill it with kibble then soak the kibble for a while. Then I drain off the excess water and put a small amount of something tasty in the top.

Freeze.

Feed.

I have four kongs so that there is always one in the freezer ready.

Tatze loves 'em. It takes her a good 40 mins to get it all out. Sometimes she brings it to me to help - awww! She has one in the morning after breakfast to keep her busy before our walk at around 11am. Then she has one if she needs to go in the crate.

:D

(The kibble is out of her daily feeds so she's not getting extra apart from the tasty bit in the top - cheese, meat paste, sausage, anything yummy)

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
StormDust said:
How do you block the end with carrot? Just ram it in?
I suppose it depends what variant of the Kong range you have!!! They have quite a few different types.

In short though, yes, we just plug the end with a carrot and break it off.
There are loads of ways of filling / going about this -- get creative!!

The freezing tip is by far the best and great in the summer.
Judy has however worked out that if she bounces it on the kitchen floor she can break the lump of food up and get it out quicker. The cheeky chimp!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are crafty little beggars aren't they? I bought Chewy an anti gulp bowl to stop her eating so fast and within days she figured out how to upend it so she can scoff her meal straight off the floor. She is no lady!! :)

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Smear some peanut butter (just a small amount) and then put something to block the end - bit of banana.

Also a small amount of Marmite works too (not too much as very salty).

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
StormDust said:
They are crafty little beggars aren't they? I bought Chewy an anti gulp bowl to stop her eating so fast and within days she figured out how to upend it so she can scoff her meal straight off the floor. She is no lady!! :)
I think actually that makes her a clever lady!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Related Questions.

1) I've only been giving Sonny his Kong with soaked kibble up until now at 18weeks and I feel it's time to start spicing it up for him. What sort of foods should I start experimenting with? --- Natrual yogurt, banana, raw carrot, peanut butter, cottage chesse ? Are these okay (obvi not all at once).

2) When freezing; I've recently just noticed people saying freezing overnight; - Initially I've just been putting it in for half an hour to 2 hours. I assume then you give it to them brick solid ?

3) When stuffing it with soaked kibble, how long do you soak for and when your stuffing it; do you cram as much in as possible of just fill it up easily.

Also.... Now that I've been freezing it for some time rather than warm, when I give him it in the crate, I return and the blanket or bedding he as eating it over is soaking wet lol

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Cooper has a special technique where he lies on his side and holds the kong down with one paw and licks everything out in 20min tops!

I use yoghurt, banana and peanut butter, or grated apple and carrots (add water so it all freezes together) or just mashed kibble or tinned food (when I'm lazy). All in addition to his daily allowance as he is quite skinny 8)

Sometimes I'll show him two different ones and let him pick. He always goes for the peanut butter and banana :lol:

And like Boogs, I have a few and try to always have one ready in the freezer.

C

·
0 Posts
Willow has a kong every time she is left. (We have 6 kongs so there is always one in the freezer when needed)

I take about 100g of dry food and cover with hot water and leave to soak up the water and to cool, that is enough to stuff all 6 kongs.

Stuff
freeze
serve!!

A frozen kong lasts about 20 min.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
loyalblue said:
Related Questions.

1) I've only been giving Sonny his Kong with soaked kibble up until now at 18weeks and I feel it's time to start spicing it up for him. What sort of foods should I start experimenting with? --- Natrual yogurt, banana, raw carrot, peanut butter, cottage chesse ? Are these okay (obvi not all at once).

2) When freezing; I've recently just noticed people saying freezing overnight; - Initially I've just been putting it in for half an hour to 2 hours. I assume then you give it to them brick solid ?

3) When stuffing it with soaked kibble, how long do you soak for and when your stuffing it; do you cram as much in as possible of just fill it up easily.

Also.... Now that I've been freezing it for some time rather than warm, when I give him it in the crate, I return and the blanket or bedding he as eating it over is soaking wet lol
1 - Yes to all the above. Judy does love a roast spud crammed in there as well !!!

2 - Yep solid as a rock. But we wait a little while so it's not burning the tounge

3 - 10 minutes seems to do it.

I'm surprised blanket not wet anyway. Judys slobber when decanting the contents normally result in a but of drool !!

·
Registered
124 Posts
When I got Dante, he was just 8 weeks old and I wanted to introduce a Kong Puppy so I inserted some of his kibble in the Kong. Dry with nothing added. In less than a minute he found out that if he would grab the Kong and let it fall, more kibble will come out, so it took him around 3 minutes to finish a Kong. After that, I made a mix of cottage cheese with kibble, but he licked the whole Kong in a couple of minutes.

I've been stuffing Kongs with wet kibble since he started teething. Here's how I do it: I put some kibble in warm water and let it soak for 10 to 15 minutes and then I stuff the Kong, trying to fit as much kibble in the Kong as possible (I give him Acana Large Puppy and that's normally around 50g for a large Kong) and then put it in a freezer for at least 3 hours so it's rock solid when I get it out.

I was worried that this might cause him some freeze burns, but he's taking his time licking the bigger hole of the Kong. That way, he's done with a large Kong in around 30 to 45 minutes.

As a note, I used to give him the Kong in a corner of the kitchen, but by the time he would finish, some tiny kibble bits would get dry and it was really tough to clean the floor tiles. What I ended up doing was to get a Ruffwear Mt. Bachelor Pad and put the waterproof side up and allow him to chew the Kong only on that pad. When he was done, I'd simply use a jet of hot water on the waterproof side and the pad would be (almost) clean and dry in a matter of minutes. Of course, you don't need to use that specific pad, but you can buy some sort of thick rubber layer that you can put down somewhere in the house. What's nice about that part is that you can teach "sit" and "place" and the reward is one big Kong, which is awesome :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm going to try the banana and peanut butter one. Fruit must surely be the way to go - health health health!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts