Labradors Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I live in York with my husband and 6yr old daughter. I'm at the moment dog proofing the house and garden, and so not quite ready for a puppy yet (holidays etc). Is there anyone out there who can tell me of any puppies up and coming (no preference of colour) which will be available to take home around May. I would be willing to travel a reasonable distance. Also what is a good age to view puppies once they are born ie couple of days, 3/4 weeks.

Hope someone out there can help????

Karen

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi,

I'm not sure how far you are willing to travel but i got my dog from a breeder in shropshire (ludlow). She is a kennel club acredited breeder and was brilliant. She may have some pups, she has a web site www.poolehalllabradors.co.uk

Her name is Jane Matthews. She maybe able to help you with your choice and she'll be able to give you alot off lab infomation. She mainly breeds for the guide dog for the disabled but she maybe able to help. Her number and address is on the site and you can e-mail her if you like to through the links.

Hope this helps!

goodluck
cristina & ben

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Hi Karen

Also your local labrador retriever club may be able to help, as they can advise on litters from reputable breeders. Not sure the exact one you need to contact, but a list with contact details can be found on the Kennel Club's website here:

http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/discoverdogs/gundog/g964.htm

We had a 7 week wait before our pup Corbie was born (it was worth it :D )and then were allowed to see/choose him when he was 4 weeks old and this was ideal. By then they have built up an immune system and at this stage they have opened their eyes, and are usually playing and pouncing on each other, or sleeping! So you get a better idea of how the pups may turn out.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Karen
As Karen says the best place to start is with your local Labrador Retriever Club
http://thelabclub.co.uk/otherbreedclubs.htm
As you're in Yorkshire you could contact Stormley, who are listed on this site. There's some info on selecting a breeder on this website and it's well worth searching out a good breeder long before you want a puppy.
Also, it's worth purchasing a copy of The Perfect Puppy too, it will give you some ideas before your pup arrives.
HTH :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts