Labradors Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Does your Lab chew and tear up his/her bedding?

We are looking to find a UK company that makes durable, long lasting and indestructible beds - with a view to sell them in Labforums shop 'furbabies'.

Preferably something that's washable too. :D

Does anyone have anything that meets with this criteria for their labs?

Thx :wink:

Julie

·
Registered
364 Posts
Orvis do a dog bed that they claim they will replace if it gets chewed .. but as its not made in UK thats not much help .. but thought i would mention it anyway! :wink:

Oh, it costs £100+ btw :?

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL Lablover - very true!

Also, have you seen the price of some of these beds... :shock:

I'm in the wrong job i should be making beds for dogs- lol!! :D

Julie

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
i was on the search for a dog bed for brandy a few months back till i saw the price :shock: :shock: could buy a human single bed for the price shops charge..lol..

in the end i bought a large rug and on the top of that we have a old quilt so now brandy and rosze are nice and comfy (they still sneak on our bed in the morning when one of us is missing..lol)

i did notice some stupid dog beds ie; the beanbag bed how dangerous is that as we know most dogs chew imagine coming home to there bed in pieces and lil polythene balls everywere.. :shock: :shock:

also what annoyed me was they say large bed and it would only be the right size for my king charles...lol...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi Julie
I didn't buy a complete bed from Waggers, but I did buy a sort of cushion to go in the bottom of one of our girls plastic beds under the vet bed to give a bit more padding, rather disappointed as it was very thin for the money and chewed in under a week (they weren't claiming it was indestructible though).
With three Labs in the house the task of keeping the vet bed mud free, hair free and smell free was impossible and I recently invested in cushions from a company in Scotland called Tuffies (www.tuffies.co.uk I think). I ordered the smallest size (just under £50 inc p&p) to go inside their plastic beds as they love to get in a bed to snuggle and these cushions have been brilliant. They are very tough (although again not saying indestructible), don't retain smells, when hoovered you get about 99% of hair up very easily and quickly and when muddy you can scrub them with washing up liquid or such, hose them down and leave them to dry. It took the girls a few days to get used to them as they are quite "puffy" but if you sit on them the air comes out and the dogs are happier to investigate. They have certainly stopped me going insane from non stop dog bed cleaning!
Clare

G

·
I can't imagine that there is any bed that is totally indistructable, especially if anyone has a lab that was anything like Corrie when he was younger, Demolition Lab might have been a more appropriate name :lol:

Corrie's first bed was one of those plastic ones and I used to put blankets in it. He had a right good chewing session on the plastic bed, I would come home and find bits of blue plastic everywhere. He also found it rather useful for turning on its side and standing on it so that he could get up onto the kitchen side!

Now he has a lovely tartan fleecy bed in my bedroom which I bought for him about 4 years ago - won't talk about the price of it!! :shock: A friend of mine also used to make pet beds and made me a mattress type bed for the boot of the car which has a waterproof backing in a fleecy type material with paw prints on it, the cover comes off and can be put in the washing machine/dryer so it doesn't matter how wet or muddy it gets. I also have one in the lounge.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was going to suggest news paper, cheep and easy to replace until we get past that stage. Subsequently or for those of us that are little angels we use cheep human quilts - quilt and cover normally cost less than £15 so mum dosent mind too much if we tear it up or more normally now throw up on it - although of course we always try to head for something like a leather coat if we know we are going to yack :lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
These are really 100% indestructible. I've got a dog that cost me a fortune in beds, duvets, cushions etc, and I finally decided to fork out and buy a guaranteed non chew bed. I've had it for 4 years now and it really is indestructible. And it's waterproof and washable!!! Not cheap but it will last my dog's lifetime and stick intact to use for others in the future. Look at the Chew Proof beds here:

http://www.tuffies.co.uk/

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Minnie is on zippy's, but she has never tried to destroy a bed (yet). We needed deep memory foam for her.

Mandy

·
Registered
11,547 Posts
Zippy beds are here http://www.zippyuk.com/ they are soft beds which you can choose a fleece cover or a waterproof cover for. Some people don't like the waterproof cover as they think it makes too much of a crinkling noise but it can be hosed down so very handy if the bed gets muddy/dirty. All the covers waterproof or not can go in the washing machine anyway. They are soft beds and they are really comfy I've tried sitting in one - yep I am crackers but you have to test these things :wink:

I know lots of people with chewers of beds and suckers of beds and my own managed to destroy a fair few other beds as a pup as he would suck on the labels, piping, edges until they came apart! I haven't found anyone who had a zippy destroyed even by pups. Some people do throw a piece of vet bed in the bottom and others throw a fleecy blanket over if they've got waterproof ones to make them more cosy (inc. me as my boy likes to snuggle into blankets :roll:). If you tell them you're an LFer you can also get a discount :wink: Everyone who has seen ours has bought one themselves as they thought it was ace so I am happy to recommend to everyone. :D

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
We got Min's on ebay, same people cheaper prices ! She has non slip vetbed ontop of the crinkley sounding one.

Mandy

1 - 20 of 34 Posts