Labradors Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, missy who is now 8 months old has comes into season, she is feeling very sorry for herself.

Am making sure i only walk her on the lead up the road and it's about 1am, as i certainly wouldnt dream of taking her out during the day.

Have been cleaning up after her, and her too,

My concern is do i need to supliment her food with anything please. she is on well beloved adult now, always change her water for her regular.

Trying to keep the younger candy 4 month old away from her, as i dont thing she's in the mood for being jumped on.

Missy wont leave my side, all she wants is cuddles, if im on the kitchen she will follow me and put her head on my foot.she's seems extremly close.

Is there any advice please, does the season go on for about 21 days, when its stopped do i need to keep her in for a certain period of time after she has stopped.

ive never had a bitch before so just want to do the right thing by her and look after her the best i can.

thanks as always

gary

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Hi Gary

My 7.5 month old pup is just finishing her first season so you have my sympathy.

Firstly you say you are taking her for a walk up the road in the early hours. The only problem with that if it is walking her from your house is that you are leaving a trail of in season bitch scent right to your door for any door key dogs to come and sit outside. If you feel that you need to take her out take her out in the car (leaving no trail) to a nearby industrial estate or similar where there will be no dog walkers.

As far as the mopping is concerned. The more you cuddle and fuss her the more you are encouraging the behaviour, so I would be much more matter of fact and sort of don't be so silly about it. Jolly her along more. Honestly it will be easier for her in the long run.

Also there is no reason at all that she shouldn't be playing etc. with Candy. Normal life continues honestly. I usually gundog train (in my own field) my bitches right through there season.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Maybe I am a wicked mum, but TBH - Apart from keeping them away from the boy and limiting external activities (much to their disgust) I don't treat my in season bitches any differently.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
As Jill says, act normally and just let her get on with it. She'll sharp tell Candy if she's not in the mood for playing, you don't need to intervene.

We kept Indy in for three weeks as I didn't want to run the risk of upsetting any males in the vicinity. We have a largish garden so exercised her twice per day there, she didn't seem to want much more than that anyway.

I don't think there's any harm in letting her have extra cuddles if she wants them and you're happy to give them, but make sure you don't leave Candy out. And no, you don't need any extra supplements.

Regarding length, I believe they're most fertile when they've stopped bleeding so you'll have around 10-14 days of blood, then a week of no blood but a "danger time" where she's most likely to get pregnant. However, I believe there is a real risk they can get pregnant at any point during their season.

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
Hollie was my first real experience of a bitch in season. :p

You sound to be doing the right things with her. If she is 'off' then plenty of TLC is fine in my book. :lol:
You don't need any suppliments to her food and you are making sure there is plenty of fresh water.
It's a case of 'carry on as normal' at home and keep her away from busy doggy areas and especially male dogs because she will drive them crazy (even neutered ones). :p

It will all be over in about three weeks :p If I remember rightly (it's an age thing :oops: ) I waited a week or so after the bleeding had stopped before Hollie was allowed loose in the fields.
If I'm wrong, someone will soon put me right.

:D

EDIT: And whilst I was thinking about it, others did it. :lol:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much

i hadnt thought about the trail im leaving for the entire male poplulation to knock at my door saying can missy come out to play,lolol

i will take her out in the car, i know that there are some woods just up the road from here

thanks about the cuddling, i just felt sorry for her, not being a female and not understanding what they go through, was just trying to make her feel better,

i will let candy near her and leave them as normal, will stop the cuddling , as i dont want to create a problem for missy

really appreciate your help with this.

we have a male bull mastif living next door, and when i spoke to the neighbour , who is brilliant put up a 10 foot board at a low section of our fence to stop him jumping over.

I take his dog up the park sometimes with mine, the only thing is if any dogs come near missy or candy he wont allow any dog near them. but doesnt go for any dogs, just looks at them and growls.

make me very nervios at times to say the least

thanks again

gary

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Gary I don't mean stop cuddling her completely honestly. You can still cuddle her just don't go over the top and make extra fuss of her.

Mine get lots of cuddles just not extra ones for being in season :wink: :D .

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry i know what you mean about the cuddling, sorry i think i wrote it wrong,

not going to go over board with the cuddles just the normal ones. and not to make an issue about her being in season,

i could never completely stop all the cuddles, plus candy would not allow me to ignore her as she is a real jealous one.

i normally end up sitting on the floor to give them a cuddle, as they know when i stand up they are not allowed to jump up

thanks again

gary

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
Hormones :lol: Apparently its the equivalant of us Ladies having PMT for 3 weeks, and as you can't give her chocolate, bottle of wine and a hot water bottle I think cuddles is a great alternative :lol:

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
littlelab said:
Hormones :lol: Apparently its the equivalant of us Ladies having PMT for 3 weeks, and as you can't give her chocolate, bottle of wine and a hot water bottle I think cuddles is a great alternative :lol:
:lol: :lol:

Just to (hopefully) make the OP feel a bit better - when we had just Hally (my first ever bitch owned) - at one point she appeared so out of sorts we took her to the vets - who diagnosed doggie PMT :roll: (£20 for THAT) and sure enough a few days later she came into season -

Although I had never owned bitches, I worked in boarding and breeding kennels for many years - so maybe I should have known better, but of course, didn't have that level of close constant contact you have with your own :?

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
littlelab said:
.....and as you can't give her chocolate, bottle of wine and a hot water bottle...
And that never blumming worked anyway. It was still wrong. :( :roll:

Gary:
It's going to be an experience. It doesn't last long but you just might end up swearing. :p

I'd have another young bitch though. :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts