Labradors Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maries' story about how she rescued Maggie......"Maggie came from a hellhole puppy farm in deepest darkest Wales. She lived in a huge barn sectioned off into tiny pens. The farm had hundreds of girls just like her. No daylight ,hardly any food or water,they never saw light of day . They were mated from their first season ,every season . Just a machine !!!! Beaten ,dragged around attacked by other dogs . Somehow, a dog warden, befriended the owners of the puppy farm,and persuaded them to hand over girls they didn't want anymore.The dog warden met the puppy farm owners in a lane,not allowed to know where the farm was. I am very fortunate to know all this being in rescue myself. The warden has since said she was so worried Maggie wouldn't be re -homable, as she was so terrified and completely shut down . She spent six months in foster home, and nothing changed ,foster had to send her to kennels. This is where I appear .....I saw her on the Internet (I wasn't particularly looking for another dog),but something told me I had to have her. Within three days she was mine. Going to the kennel to collect her broke my heart.I have never in my life seen such a terrified shell of a dog. Her soul had been destroyed completely. She shook like a leaf from head to toe when I put a lead on her,then she hit the floor and froze. Once home, I couldnt get near her for weeks.She would only eat on the floor with nobody in the room.After six weeks she would sit in the same room as me,crawling in and laying next to me . I spent hours just chatting to her while I did things in the house . It took months for her to calm down. She would only do things with me . I put her in so many situations that terrified her ,she would crawl or if "off lead" run . Always with an eye on me . Slowly her confidence grew, as long as she was with me . We had so many adventures together all over the UK . Even going to Crufts to represent dogs like herself ,who had been so badly mistreated.Educating people about puppy farms . We learnt together ,I owe her so much for all she taught me. Maggie is the reason I foster ex breeding girls, and show them how to be a dog, with the help of my other dogs . Its so very hard to put into words our bond . There is not a day goes by that I don't think of her ,I swear I feel her at my right heel . That sounds mad I guess . So wish I could convey the feelings I have in my heart for my Miss Maggie. I feel truly blessed that she allowed me to be her trusted friend . Humans caused her so much pain" ....
For you Marie.I've titled this painting "Intimate words"...Julian x

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I thought the painting was beautiful on fb, but Now I read that heartbreaking but at the same time, in a way heartwarming story, it has left me totally speechless, other than to say a beautiful painting for a Beautiful Partnership.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
In tears. Beautiful Maggie. I knew Maggie and she was one special lady. A cheeky madam at times. Always found at your side if you had treats :) snuffling extra ones ;)
You have done an amazing job. It IS them x

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm so grateful that Marie told be the heartbreaking,and ultimately happy story about Maggie,as without knowing her story,my painting would simply be somebody bending down to speak to her dog,as we all do.
But for Marie to gain the trust of Maggie, and be able to approach her,as I've depicted in my painting,was a very long process.
I'm pleased to say that one of the owners of these Puppy farms from which Maggie came from,has just been prosecuted and sentenced to an 8 months prison sentence...not long enough in my view...
Thank you,from the bottom of my heart, to all the friends of Marie ,for asking me to paint this emotional painting, as a gift to Marie.....

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I have to repeat what I have said before just beautiful so life like Thanks again Julian and of course Marie x

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
:cry: Tears here also, the people responsible for the cruel existence and life these breeding girls go through will never receive the punishment they deserve :( .

Thankyou Julian for capturing the lovely trusting face of Maggie with her saviour Marie.xx

·
Registered
7,509 Posts
So here i am at work, having a quick look at the forum whilst having my coffee break, which i now have to extend, cos of the tears xx
She really was a special girl, one in a million & Hers & Marie's bond was unconditional with out a doubt. & i know a little Terrorist who also found her a special girl too, tho bless, i don't think she ever thought he was as special :wink:
Thank you Julian, for capturing that bond, & i know Marie will always be grateful xx

1 - 19 of 19 Posts