Labradors Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..i could cry :oops: :oops:

just got back from a walk with poppy. she had been as good as gold, did some lovely heeling, some good stays and her recall was perfect, she even came back to me when she started chasing a pigeon. on the last leg of our walk we went through a little wooded area, at the end of this path is a house with an unfenced garden and this unfenced garden always has at least one pheasant walking around so we ALWAYS turn back or put poppy on lead if we're going to carry on along the path before we get close to this garden. well, today just as i was about to turn back a pheasant decided to walk past the end of the wooded bit and poppy the beast spotted it and chased the bl**dy thing 8O she chased it around the unfenced garden several times and then she spotted two more of the stupid birds who just ran aimlessly around the place. all the while i was running after poppy calling her back, would she come, NO! :oops: 8O :evil:

she continues to run around this garden after these pheasants with me shouting after her when the owner of the house comes out :oops: i apologise immediately, she then says "can you put your dog back on the lead" that's when i get a bit sarky with her, what does she think i'm trying to do?! :oops: i apologised again :oops:

mean while the pheasants have found some common sense and disappeared and poppy is eating the bird seed that the woman obviously buts out for them :oops: i hastily try and put the lead back on poppy but i was shaking so much 8O

poppy then continued to be as good as gold until she realised she was on her way home when she picked up a pinecone and lay down in protest to chew it, so i had to wrestle that off her...........twice! :evil:

i'm never walking her again! :evil:

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Oh dear, naughty Poppy, thank goodness she didn`t get hold of one of the birds in the garden :?

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
My Topsy would be the worst at pheasant chasing and she too has to go on the lead to stop her. It once took me 20 minutes to get her back as she was diving about in ditches after apparently spotting the flick of a feather about half a mile distant, giving me no chance to spot it first. :oops: :evil: Charlie only really shows an interest if one pops out of a hedge at point blank range to him, but doesn't go that far after them. Topsy would go on like that all day though, if she could.

They have just put the baby pheasants out in the fields around here, and I think that is about to mean flexi-lead time again for Topsy. :twisted: :twisted:

Try not to feel too bad. We all have times when our dogs upstage us. About this time last year Topsy got spooked at the sudden appearance of a combine harvester on the path behind us. The driver kindly stopped to give me a chance to get the dogs on their leads and out of the way, and Charlie came back to me good as gold. Topsy, however, who is normally the more biddable of my two, shrieked and took off at the speed of light. She was found ten minutes later in an elderly lady's back garden playing around as if nothing had happened. :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i didn't realise dogs could be so embarrassing until i got her, but this is the first time she has done anything like this. the thing that makes even more galling is the fact that her recall had been so good and when she chased a pigeon and i called her she came straight back to me no problem.

the husband is walking her from now on as i've disowned her :evil: :roll:

·
Registered
249 Posts
:lol: :lol:

Sorry, I had to laugh. I also know someone who goes deaf all of a sudden in certain situations.

Sammy embarassed us last weekend - we'd taken him for a walk and swim at a local lake, and everything was going fine until our walk back to the car. There was a man throwing bread into the water for the ducks. Sam decided this was too good an opportunity to miss so went in and ate all the bread on the water (ignored the ducks completely) and then stood there waiting for more (ignoring me completely too!!). I apologised profusely (as you do) but instead of waiting for me to get him under control, the guy kept throwing in more bread! Why do people do that??

Hope you've forgiven Poppy now.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
:lol: They do like to show us up eh?!

Bracken popped into the neighbour's garden over the road one night last week :oops: I'd parked on that side of the road. I've got a new tailgate guard whatsit and am still getting to grips with both that, and having 2 dogs to contend with. Anyway, sat them both up to 'wait' while I opened the gate. Leads on. 'Wait'. 'Bracken out' and she pops out. Boots goes to dive out too, so I'm busy telling him to wait until he's told he can come out. Now Bracken knows the deal. She's to jump out then wait until I tell her otherwise. I actually thought I had hold of her lead, but I didn't. So, I suddenly became aware of a rummaging sound coming from over the hedge. O. M. G. She's in their garden!!!! I live in a funny old street. Almost like half the houses were for all the posh people and the other half were for the people who worked for them. So my little pad is very modest. Whereas house over the road is huge and sold for a pretty penny recently. I tried to sneak into their garden, un-noticed, but it was like crossing bleddy no-mans land!! 1000000 million watt security light flicked on and the lord of the manor appeared at the front room window quick as a flash, just as Bracken streaked across the front lawn with me in hot pursuit :oops: :oops: :oops:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts