Labradors Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all :D :D :D

Well after a few months of no LF, I've decided to take my subscription up again as I've missed the place! I've been lurking the whole time but was upset I couldn't access all of the juicy topics in private coffee lounge!

We have moved from Nottingham to York and loving York itself. Love exploring new walks and Roo is having a great time with all of the new smells. Having a nightmare at the moment with terrible neighbours - we're semi detached and they are awful - screaming and swearing all hours of the day and night, playing music into the early hours and having parties every Friday and Saturday night. They don't work so we don't even get peace in the day. They have people coming in and out all day (and night) and stomp, slam and bang all day. We tried speaking to them and they told us to stop being so ******* nosey and to leave if it bothers us :eek: The general area is not good either, but we're not from here so had no way of telling whether the area was good or not. I'm having to drive Roo out for walks twice a day, as the local dog walk is horrendous. Lovely walk, but Roo was attacked (attempted) by two dogs in the same walk - luckily both were on muzzles. When I shouted at one lad to get his dog off mine, he said "oh he can't do any harm - he's muzzled" and wondered off!

On the plus side, our land lady is lovely and has allowed us to move again!! We have found an even nicer house in a really lovely area with great (tried and tested) dog walks so we're on the move for the second time in a month! Better luck next time!

Roo is booked in for his castration on Monday :( which I'm really worried about but I know it's for the best. He is 2 and a half and so has had enough time to mature etc but we just feel it's time. Also, we *may* need to get a dog walker on some days when I start at the Uni in October (the reason for coming here) so it'll help in that respect as some places don't take entire dogs - understandable.

Roo is as loopy and dopey as ever. Our lounge has patio doors on to the garden and Roo was asleep outside by the doors earlier. The door blew in the wind, trapping him between the patio and the bottom of the door. He had a complete freak out, screaming (not hurt BTW - just being silly) and then just lay still, looking at me as if to say "help mum"!! Was so funny!

Since last being on, I have graduated from my undergrad degree with First Class Honours :oops: :D and am about to start a fully-funded PhD on a scholarship at the University of York 8)

Looking forward to getting back on and stuck in to some posts! Have added some (large) recent photos for you as I know you all love 'em

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Hello and welcome back :D

Roo reminds me of Coal :D

Did you graduate from Nottingham? I was at Uni there and my best friend from there now works at the York uni :D

fingers crossed you settle nicely in this new house and your neightbours have improved! :roll:

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Lovely pics of Roo. Congrats on the undergrad honours, and also on getting the University of York right, it was forever getting called York University when I worked there :wink:

Glad you like York, it is a lovely place, although like everywhere has its nice and not so nice areas.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
_Sam_ said:
Hello and welcome back :D

Roo reminds me of Coal :D

Did you graduate from Nottingham? I was at Uni there and my best friend from there now works at the York uni :D

fingers crossed you settle nicely in this new house and your neightbours have improved! :roll:
Hi! Yes I did graduate from Nottingham - what a coincidence! Maybe I'll bump in to your friend :D

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Welcome back and congratulations on your graduation :D , hope the next move goes well and the neighbours are better than those you have atm, Roo will be just fine after his op, bit dopey (more than usual :lol: ) for a day or so afterwards but they usually recover quickly :)

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
She works in Health economics

It is a small lab loving world :lol: :wink:

i bet Nottingham has changed loads! my hall was all girls when i was there! 8O

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Congratulations on graduating :) Roo looks a lot like my Sasha. Is there quite a lot of "Drakeshead" there by any chance ? :lol: gorgeous photo's.

Karen & Sasha

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kazz59 said:
Congratulations on graduating :) Roo looks a lot like my Sasha. Is there quite a lot of "Drakeshead" there by any chance ? :lol: gorgeous photo's.

Karen & Sasha
You got it :wink: :D

·
Premium Member
15,716 Posts
Hiya and welcome back. Congratultaions on your under grad honours and good luck at York.

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Welcome back, and congratulations on your graduation. :D

I do hope that your next move goes smoothly, and that you get well away from your "neighbours from hell".

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Gorgeous gorgeous Roo!!! (Good luck with the op!)

Congrats to you on graduating and going for your PhD. I'm just coming to the end of a Masters with the OU and wondering where I go from there!!

I can sympathise with having to move quickly after moving in because of lack of knowledge of area. The same thing happened to us last year when we moved to Belgium. Had to move 6wks after moving in with Luna only 4 and a half months old poor mite!!!

Good luck with all!

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
So, when do we get to call you Dr. Roo? :)

Whereabouts in York did you end up? And where are you off to... [/nosey]

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Milford_Cubicle said:
So, when do we get to call you Dr. Roo? :)

Whereabouts in York did you end up? And where are you off to... [/nosey]
He he - another 3 years until Dr Roo! Live in Acomb at the minute if you know it, going to Clifton Moor :D

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Acomb's quite a big area, Clifton Moor is fairly new, has a great big shopping centre as you'll know.

Acomb (pronounced ay-comb for anyone wondering) is one of the few places left in York with a proper village centre, and has some of the 'poshest' streets, Hobgate, Moorgate, Severus Avenue to name a few, I used to live on Severus Street which is quite close to the shops. Unfortunately it has a couple of quite rough areas as well, same as anywhere.

St Stephen's church, at the top of the hill is the highest point in York, if you live anywhere near there you know you won't be flooded! And, by the way, parts of Clifton Moor flood do get a bit flooded and boggy, they're forever closing roads in the winter because the drainage hasn't been flushed, so don't get caught out in the traffic.

Just wait till the spring, and you'll get to see the King's Arms under water (as usual) and all the people stopping to look over Ouse Bridge :lol:

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Welcome back and congrats on your graduation - hope all goes well at York Uni for you :D Lovely photos and Roo looks well. Wishing him a speedy recovery from his castration next week.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tarimoor said:
Acomb's quite a big area, Clifton Moor is fairly new, has a great big shopping centre as you'll know.

Acomb (pronounced ay-comb for anyone wondering) is one of the few places left in York with a proper village centre, and has some of the 'poshest' streets, Hobgate, Moorgate, Severus Avenue to name a few, I used to live on Severus Street which is quite close to the shops. Unfortunately it has a couple of quite rough areas as well, same as anywhere.

St Stephen's church, at the top of the hill is the highest point in York, if you live anywhere near there you know you won't be flooded! And, by the way, parts of Clifton Moor flood do get a bit flooded and boggy, they're forever closing roads in the winter because the drainage hasn't been flushed, so don't get caught out in the traffic.

Just wait till the spring, and you'll get to see the King's Arms under water (as usual) and all the people stopping to look over Ouse Bridge :lol:
Thanks for that - really helpful. I've seen the nice areas in Acomb, but we live by Chapplefields :? What's Clifton Moor like as a place to live do you know? The house is only 5 mins from the shopping area, in one of the recently-build Barratt houses. We've heard there is a 'travellers' camp near there - is this anything to worry about?

Thanks for the replies everyone :D

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Welcome back and congratulations on your graduation :D great pics of Roo..and you!

What a nightmare situation with your house :( pleased you have found somewhere nice to go too...good luck :)

Hope the snip goes ok for Roo.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts