Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chewy got put on antibiotics for frequent bouts of the runs and general unwellness last saturday and although I have read the label on her tablets a hundred times I have completely screwed up.

I should have been giving her 1.5 tablets twice a day but I have only been giving 1.5 tablets once a day. :cry:

I feel terrible and like a real idiot. How did I get this so wrong when it was written there in simple black and white. :oops:

My poor baby. I feel so bad. Should I ring the vets do you think? My partner says she will be fine - but he always says that because he doesn't love her like I do.

Panicking :(

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Having read a few of your posts you sound like a real worrier ;-) Bless you... take a deep breath and CHILL woman! ;-) ;-) ;-)

We all make mistakes, just crack on with the correct dose and no harm done! Now if yoou had fed the lot to her in one sitting i'd be saying ring the vet pronto! But you haven't.

Whatever they are for, just finish the course, give it a few days and then if its no better, go back to the vet and say what you did and maybe start a new course ;-) But i bet this one works just fine.

Di

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
I personally would give the vets a call, they may need to give you extra tablets as taking anti-biotics at below the recommended dose may not work and can actually cause the immune system to build a defence against that particular anti-biotic.
Don't beat yourself up over it, its easily done and 99.9% of the time it isn't a problem. I recently double dosed myself with epilepsy medication for nearly 3 weeks, it was only picked up when I ordered the repeat prescription and they queried why I needed it so soon. I did wonder why I felt strange
:roll:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Diana said:
Having read a few of your posts you sound like a real worrier ;-) Bless you... take a deep breath and CHILL woman! ;-) ;-) ;-)
Lol my partner says he is glad I have joined this forum so that I have an outlet for my constant anxiety over the puppa that isn't him!

I am a worrier I admitt! I always wanted a dog my entire life, but my parents would never let me have one, then I lived in a flat and it wouldn't have been fair to have a dog, then when we finally got a house and a nice big garden I worked too far away. Now I have finally got Chewy I am completely obsessed with her - my partner says "Its ridiculous how much you love that dog. Shje's just a dog." (I think he's jelous lol:))

Because I have no experience I panic all the time I am going to do something wrong - like not give her the right amount of medicine when she's ill for instance :( I think I am maybe too scatty to be a responsible owner :(

Right, I am chilling out now. Promise 8)

I will ring the vets just to double check.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Try to relax, I am like you and a natural worrier. I am mindful to keep myself in check because my imagination can run away with me. At least you care and want whats best for your puppy. Just try to put things into perspective occasionally. Sometimes fear of doing something wrong can actually hold us back from experiencing life. You've got the forum to bounce ideas off and soon you will wonder what all the worry was about.

my children have a huge gap between them. With my first I was obsessed about cleanliness and wouldn't let him crawl around without a clean sheet. My second child came along in the middle of a building project when I had a ladder to climb upstairs and no hot water. I had no choice to just get on with it. Strangely my first child has lots of allergies and carries an epipen. My second is as strong as an ox and never has a day off of school. :0)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all.

Rang the vets spoke to the other vet who did Chewy's spay but I didnb't see her when I took Chewy in last weekend, she didn't sound very happy with me :( She was also unhappy that Chewy had gained a few kg and gave me a lecture about it :(

She said if the symtoms have cleared up to stop giving the antibiotics... but the problem was that the symptoms kept coming back... oh well I am not a vet so I will do as she says.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Yes definately finish the course, do not stop here... then consider if the symptoms have gone. If they have great. If not, take her back.

.... but try and relax a bit ;-) She will still be there in the morning, and for 14 years of mornings after that with luck ;-) These creatures are MUCH harder to 'break' than you think ;-)

Di

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah thinking about it I am definitely going to finish the course - there aren't too many left now anyway so I don't think it will hurt.

I am also annoyed with the vet for telling me off about Chewy's weight, she is IS NOT fat!! Lol! :evil:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts