Labradors Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's such hard work! She'll have a wee in the evening about 8pm ish or so and then will often chew or play for a while before going off to dream land. So by the time I decide to go to bed which is anytime after nine thirty on, waking her up and getting her to visit the garden for a wee is sooooo heart-wrenching! She rolls around on her back complaining that I've woken her (and getting tummy rubs!), then will make it onto 4 paws out into the garden were she flops into a sit or a down while she 'adjusts' to her surroundings (ie has a nosy at what's going on in the area!) With encouragement she will then walk around having a sniff before finally having a wee and taking off back into the house!! It's ALL very difficult for a very sleepy Luna meaning I wonder whether I should just leave her to sleep rather than have that final wee stop of the day.

Luna is now 16months old and will tend to sleep through until about 7am in the morning regardless of the time she last visits the garden! I haven't dared to NOT take her out before I head to bed.

Do you kick your dogs out for a bedtime wee or leave them be?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
:lol: :lol:
Its the same for Winnie!! But i know he needs to go he just doesnt remember.... he just wants to be in dream land!!

I sometimes have to put a treat under his nose!! :D that normally wakes him up!!

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sometimes have to put a treat under his nose!! that normally wakes him up!!
Usually the method which gets Luna to the back door! :lol:

Glad she's not the only one reluctant to 'go'!! If she only did a quick, token squat then I'd maybe have stopped taking her out by now but she does usually have a good bladder empty. It just takes such an effort!!!! :lol: :roll:

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
zak takes us out for his bedtime wee, :lol: every night at about 10 ish, he will come and plonk himself infront of us and stare at us and stare and stare, till one of gets up and takes him up the road for a quick stroll, a sniff around and wee or three, zak has us very well trained :wink:

sheila and zak

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Sky has a cast iron bladder and doesn't always go before bedtime. I have to wake the youngster up at 10ish to go out for a last wee as she is only 10 weeks old. We do leave our back door open all evening and so Sky comes and goes as she pleases. :D :D

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
OH always says im sooo mean waking him up and that i should let him be!! (i dont want him letting me know in the night he needs to go) and the thing is like Luna he also has a good one so he really needs to go!! Like you say if it was little/tiny i wouldnt mind so much!! but its not!!

He also gives me a look like YES i am going now!! HAPPY? :lol: :lol:

·
Administrator
21,507 Posts
I always throw mine out last thing. Anna sometimes goes out and sits on the lawn staring at the window as much as to say, "Can I come back in now please?" :lol:

I take them out until. . . . . I suppose about a year to 18 months old, and then decide they are big enough and ugly enough to not need me to hold their paw. :wink:

Regards, John

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Yep we wake Happy up to go but I really think she could hold it as she has a cast iron bladder!! Although she usually comes down about 10 if she wants to go (she sneaks off upstairs to the lie on the bed about 7.30 if she can to spread out in peace!!)

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
My pair both wake up as soon as they hear me turning the puter off, then they head for the back door, doesn`t matter if they only went out 5 mins earlier they always go for a last check even if they don`t wee :lol:

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Oh yes, mine have 'ten o clock widdles' every night. Regardless of the time, when I say those words they get up and wait at the door.

Millie sometimes does the same as Luna but she gets lifted outside nonetheless.

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Both mine are done for the night before 9pm but i still wake them up to go out last thing, Basil rarely goes now and it's just an inconvenience to him i'm sure.
Nellie needs carrying out she's so zonked and then I have to presuade her not to finish her sleep on the lawn but focus on the task at hand :lol:

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
:lol: :lol:

I sometimes thinks Winnie pretends so he gets a treat!! I think he thinks if i pretend i dont wanna go out ill get a treat!! :lol: Hes one clever Lab!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
We wake Gillie up to go at around 10pm and he is always a grumpy bum about it but he nearly always does a pee and a poo so we must be right!

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Ruby is 13 months now and for the last few months it has been a struggle to get her to go out for her nighttime pee. We often have to encourage her out with a treat and most of the time we are lucky if we can get her to move past the patio!!!
I have decided that if she needed to go she would and we have never had any accidents - she normally lasts til at least 7am until she goes out.

We also often have doors open until we go to bed and we are out in the garden until later in the evening compared to the winter months so she takes herself off when we are not looking.

Chloe

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Yup, the last thing I do every night before I go to bed is let her out for a pee and give her a bedtime biccie. She loves her routine! :D

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
My boys ages are 10 (Fife) 3 (Ash) and 14 months (Oak). They are with us in the living room till bed time - which is usually between midnight and 1 am. They get up when I do and I open the back door and whisper "Have a wee". Oak goes out for a snuffle about but rarely wees, Fife stands on the patio like a lord surveying his kingdom and NEVER wees, and Ash says "you have GOT to be kidding" and gets straight into his basket in the kitchen without setting a whisker outside! They all have a bedtime biscuit and sleep like logs until about 6.30 when I get up.

Tom's boys rarely join us in the living room (their choice) and are fast asleep in the kitchen much earlier, so they never go out either.

They all have their last walk no earlier than 7pm, and often very much later, and they know they go out for a walk at 7am each morning, so I guess they are programmed not to need to go, even though they are given the opportunity!

Katy

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
I'm glad I'm not alone in feeling mean at turfing Cadbury out last thing at night :lol: Mind you, he is usually sound asleep in his crate from around 5.30pm, and he hasn't always been outside before then, so I consider it essential he goes out around 10pm and it is only very rarely that he does nothing once out there.

Then it is a bedtime biscuit and "Night-Night".

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Indy has a wee about 6pm before her dinner, then will settle down for the night, usually napping until around 10 or 11pm when I have to gee her up to get her to plod outside for a wee, she'll plod back in, get into her bed and stare at me until I give her the usual bedtime Bonio. I know fine well as soon as I shut the door, she's up on the sofa because her bed never looks slept in :lol:

Most nights I do have to threaten to shove her off the sofa before she'll actually get up and go outside :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts