Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on Cadbury's stay command. At home he can do long stays either sit or down, no problem. As soon as I add in distractions he is off. At training as soon as he sees me drop the lead he runs off.

So we've been trying a new strategy. I take him to the grassy field across the road, we do some running around and that at the end of the walk I set him up under a tree with his lead clipped around the tree, but loose. Then I say 'stay' and walk a few paces away.

I'm hoping this will do three things a) teach him to stay around distractions b) break the notion that if I don't have hold of the lead he can bolt, and (this is a long shot) c) teach him that if the lead is behind him it is probably tied to something so there is no point moving. I'm hoping that the last bit might mean if I throw the lead behind during a stay exercise, even if it isn't tied to something, he will stay.

Today it started off not too good. First sit stay he broke almost immediately and refused to listen to me, so I had to go over and set him up again. Second sit stay an old lady walked passed and he jumped up to go see her, but did sit again when asked and managed another 30 secs. (I'm not doing long stays at the moment as I want him to succeed with distractions around him before I up the time).

So I set him up for one last stay, this time a down stay. I walk away and just as I do I hear the ring of a bicycle bell. Great, I think. Bicycles are serious distractions for Cadbury. There was a mother and child on bicycles and they were cutting across the field. I could see Cadbury watching them, but I kept going anyway and...

HE DIDN"T GET UP!!!

We only did 30 secs, basically until the bikes went out of sight, I am certain he could have gone longer, but I wanted to reinforce how good he had been at not moving while they went passed by keeping the stay short and perfect. Phew! So I think that is progress?

We are going to work in this field for a few days, then when he is doing well there, move to the park at a quiet time with few dogs and then go to the park when there are lots of dogs.

And then we will have to try it with no lead at all...

I'm going to master this and I think we made a step in the right direction today. :D

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Well done Sophie and Cadbury! Definitely a step in the right direction....

Be warned though - if you try training in a public place Jo Public seems to consider it his bounden duty to wreck whatever it is you are trying to do....

I've had real problems with that and out of sight stays....

People seem to think its imperative that they get the dog up and playing - it makes me so cross....

Eve Neo and Bramble

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Eve, hadn't thought about good ole Jo Public, was more thinking about dogs running up to Cadbury and distracting him.

Hmm, well they will have to watch out, having Cadbury has helped me to develop a rather fierce 'OI!' and they'll soon hear it if they try and put him off! :wink: :lol:

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Sophie I can think of two occasions in particular

One when I only had Neo - was doing a 5 min out of sight sit stay... then I saw one of Neo's friends appear - a golden retriever named Rhys - so decided to go and cut the exercise short and find out what Neo was up to...

Prancing aorund grinning from ear to ear thats what!!!

So he got the "Oh Neo" routine...Rhys' owner who was also standing around says

"I wondered why he was lying there by himself. It took me an awful long time to get him to move"

:evil: :evil: :evil: Speechless I was!!!

Then we had the cyclists - out of sight sit stay (these are the danger points - as the whole object of the exercise is that you do go out of sight clearly inviting joe public to have a go...)

I had Bramble with me, Neo in the same spot - along come the lycra brigade young and brash....

1st boy "Get up dog" "get up go on"... to 2nd boy "Do you think its been abandoned?" :evil: :evil: - with his collar and tag on???? 8O

2nd boy "Dunno." And as they ride past "Oh look there's somebody there"

THEN we get the girl... who rides round Neo then decides she's going to pet him and get him to move, so she stops and starts encouraging him to move....

At that point I emerge and suggest she leaves him alone as he is actually working....

Boy 2 then suggests they thought he was abandoned, and when I point out I know that they had seen me - I get called a stroppy cow....

On that occasion though - Neo bless him sat there and stayed put despite all the shenanigans but you should have seen the smug grin on his face when I emerged....you just hear him saying to himself - "Boy is she going to smother me in treats for this!!!"

He wasn't wrong!!!!

Mind you there are compensations - like the time we were on the runway (WWW2 and not used...I hasten to add but great for training) doing a few exercises. i was so absorbed I had totally failed to comprehend that there was anyone else around - so you can imagine my surprise when we finshed doing what we were doing - and got a round of applause!!!!

And to be honest Sophie I like doing the training in the open with the distractions it makes the success when you achieve what you want to - all the better...

Eve Neo and Bramble

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"I wondered why he was lying there by himself. It took me an awful long time to get him to move"
I know I shouldn't but that did make me chuckle. The thought of her trying to get Neo to move. Maybe you need a sign (or maybe that would make it worse as people love to mess things up! :roll: )

Mind you, sounds like Neo is doing really well, and seriously the second stay sounds fabulous! Cadbury gets distracted when I'm only 5 paces away :roll:

Neo is a really clever dog and I love the idea of him sitting there with a smug smile on his face while these cyclists are riding round him!

And to be honest Sophie I like doing the training in the open with the distractions it makes the success when you achieve what you want to - all the better...
That is so true. When Cadbury did that 30 sec down stay around the bikes I wanted to cheer. I have really struggled with teaching stay, but finally I feel we have begun to crack it. Of course if we can master a 1 min down stay around the distraction of other dogs we may (just may) pass our bronze test in September.

If Cadbury is in the right mood, of course...

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Dog distractions, bike distractions and people distractions are impossible for Luna to avoid and 'small' achievements like getting her to return to me rather than run alongside the surprise jogger are truly immense for me!!!

It sounds like a good strategy you've developed for Cadbury with the tree being a help. What you're asking him to do will suddenly 'ping' I hope!!! :D

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
You'd be surprised Sophie - I reckon he'll do well....

He knows when to perform and when to clown around....

Neo did that when we were doing the silver - not one week in training did he do what he should, I felt such a prize prawn...and furious as I knew he could if he wanted - he just didn;t want....

Test day came - we did the bronze and silver at the same time... we walked the bronze with the sole exception of the collar jobby and that was because the man next door had brought a huuuge rawhide chew to keep his dog quiet, but Neo is exceptionally allergic to them and although he loves them he doesn;t have them - so of course as soon as the collar was off so was Neo...

We managed to get over that little hurdle and went on to the silver test... Neo did the whole lot with his smug grin and he looked round the rest of the class with this smug grin -- you could see him thinking - yep doing this one right....

And passed with flying colours - one of 2 out of 15...

So I am sure Cadbury will do the same for you....

Eve Neo and Bramble

1 - 7 of 7 Posts