Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is becoming a major problem - all FOUR are addicted to fruit!!

It's fig season now and though most are not quite ripe they are launching themselves into the tree to grab them. Also we have a necarine tree in the veg garden which is FENCED and the are barging through the sheep fencing with their bulks and getting in to get to the fruit. The old girls chew the fruit and spit out the stone, as does Blue but Carys bless her eats the whole darn lot then throws the stones up!

We've gone from stawberries to damsons, now figs and necatrines. God help their butts!

On a more serious note, do you think if I rigged up the veggie fence to a low voltage sheep fencing thing it would actually stop them getting in?

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Obviously no-one gives a fig!!! Lmao!!!

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
I've fenced off the trees and bushes in our garden and touch wood Luna hasn't decided to jump over -yet! - as she could easily should she decide to. We just went round for some birthday cake at a neighbours and their lovely black lab x staffy showed Luna just how yummy the fallen apples were :roll: Hoping now that 1 her tummy holds up and 2 that she doesn't discover the yummy fruit I have fenced off! :roll:

Can't offer any advice on the electric fence stuff except that Luna jumped a mile when she accidently wagged into an electric fence when in Germany. She steered well clear of it after that and is still careful of touching any wire fences that look similar.

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
I can definitely sympathise with you. Rusti and Sunni have been obsessed with my plum tree and eating plums like there is no tomorrow, stones and all! The poor tree ended up with a major haircut from a chainsaw last weekend so that has put a stop to their antics!

I would think electric fencing would stop them. Usually one zap from it and they then steer clear of it.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I have the same problem, I have a damson, greengage, and a Hazel in the dogs bit. I did the electric wire. The chewed through the lead from the fence to the battery and can jump very high to grab the overhanging branches, the trees now look very sorry for themselves. I didn't plant the trees and I would get rid of them without thinking. But, this is a rented house and I cant get rid without permission and I think that is not going to happen.
They eat the lot, stones and all, then when they poo, it is like a machine gun.

The best I can do is to watch them and yell when they are practising gymnastics.
Sherry

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Completely agree with you about the electric fencing - if they're that determined to barge their way into the fencing, then if it gives them a zap or two they'll soon steer clear :)

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I hope you find a solution, in my experience of my beloved labbies... the old saying... where theres a will, theres a way comes to mind.

I dont have fruit trees but my labs are constantly eating blackberries off bushes on a walk. I did once have a strawberry plant. I didnt get to eat any of them though. :roll:

You have my sympathies and I do hope you find something that works out. The vision of your dogs leaping into a tree sounds comical but the reality is probably quite annoying.

Regards

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not so bothered about them leaping into the tree to get the figs. It is quite comical, you can see, especailly Blue, her eyeing up a fruit then launching up to grab it. Quite often she bites it in half and we end up with a half eaten bit of fruit hanging on the tree. The figs don't have an adverse affect but the sugar contanet is more the problem. They are ballooning in weight!

The main problem is them barging down the fencing or crawling under it to get into the veggie garden where there is an ancient nectarine tree. In the process they are flattening things we don't want them to flatten! Even worse Coco did an enormous pooh right next to hubbies prize cabbages, he was NOT amused! (I was!!). At present hubby is in his beloved patch picking all the nectarines so he can get rid of them.

Next thing - GRAPES!! OH NO! :evil:

?

·
0 Posts
Having had most of my dogs have a crack off the electric fencing at one point or another, I would say this would be your best deterent. They rarely go back for a second crack. Although if your dogs are anything like my horse used to be, he would know when the electric was turned off (he would listen for the tick) and the wire alone was no deterent at all. :wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts