Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

so I am considering buying a lab because I have very specific requirements (I foster dogs so I need the least territorial breed that is still goofy, fun and energetic but not hyper and neurotic). The problem is I won't get the flabby show dog and I am worried that a working dog is too much.

My previous dog was a husky mix and very high energy so I can handle that. I plan to do sports, me and my partner are active but not all the time. So there will be days, when we can only do short walks. That's why I'm worried about getting a working line.

So first off, how active is a working lab?
And second, are there any breeders in Europe (it's really hard to search for all of them), that have "american labs". So athletic but appropriate for an active family life?

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
Um, you may put some people off responding by describing show dogs as flabby. Whilst I'd agree some are overweight, labelling a whole section of the breed type as 'flabby' might not get you much in the way of a reply. Technically, my girls are show bred, with some dual purpose breeding in there (show kennels that have dabbled with the working side), and they certainly are not flabby. In fact I worked Zasa over 5 seasons, not picking up, but in the beating line which is much harder.

It depends on the lines, my girls are active, but will also settle down and be couch potatoes. There is no one hard and fast rule, and actually, a working Labrador typically has to sit and do nothing for long periods of time, and may not get a retrieve at the end of it.

The terminology of American Labradors doesn't really mean much to anyone in the UK. The US show dogs are far more substantial than those in the UK, and their working Labradors seem to look much taller than most of the working type in the UK,

The rules state that breeders cannot be recommended, so it's a case of lots of research I'm afraid.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
Well, as Tarimoor says, you’ve insulted a whole raft of people, including me.

If, indeed, your flag on your profile is where you live, I know of several excellent breeders but I fear their dogs would be too “flabby” for you. 🤣🤣🤣 Thé litter brother of one of my own dogs has recently sired several litters of correctly proportioned Labradors in your country.

I think you’ve probably been influenced by the use of very heavy American show stock which are prolific in Eastern Europe/Balkans/Russia. Not my bag either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The rules state that breeders cannot be recommended, so it's a case of lots of research I'm afraid.
Well this sucks. I have searched for a forum I could ask this on and this was the only active one I found. I have been searching for an appropriate breeder online, looked at hundreds but that's not helping. I need people, who are active in the community to point me in the right direction. Is there any other place I can ask?

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
Well this sucks. I have searched for a forum I could ask this on and this was the only active one I found. I have been searching for an appropriate breeder online, looked at hundreds but that's not helping. I need people, who are active in the community to point me in the right direction. Is there any other place I can ask?
You really are quite rude aren't you?

If you'd spent that long searching for an active forum, then perhaps you might have taken the time to read the group rules, and previous posts and replies would also have indicated this.

You label a whole section of Labradors 'flabby' and then go on to complain because you haven't read the group rules and want someone to just tell you your idea of a 'good breeder'. Has to be some sort of record for the most rude self introduction on a forum, although I don't think you'll win a prize.

·
Registered
Hailey, Yellow Lab
116 Posts
I for one felt offended by the term " flabby" for show type Labs. Both my girls are from a breeder who shows her dogs and they are wonderful, active pups who no one would describe as flabby! I wonder if the pandemic has led to some people loosing their social skills...there seems to be more rudeness in the air.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
I suspect the OP is a troll, the clue is in the name 🤣🤣

Reactions: Casodil
1 - 8 of 8 Posts