Labradors Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a competition obedience person to clarify something.

This is what someone told me, but I'm not sure how true this is:

Say you have 2 dogs. One wins out of say beginners so therefore can go onto Novice. That dog cannot enter beginners again as he has won out of it. So I have been told that the handler has also won out of beginners so thefore cannot enter their other dog into beginners, even though their other dog has never won out of beginners?

Does that make sense?

I always thought it was the dog that wins out, and not the handler.

·
Administrator
21,507 Posts
Novice is the lowest "Proper" obedience round. Pre Beginner and Beginner are limited to handler ability, Novice and up is the dog. So yes, it's true that once out of beginner you can never return.

Regards, John

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JohnW said:
Novice is the lowest "Proper" obedience round. Pre Beginner and Beginner are limited to handler ability, Novice and up is the dog. So yes, it's true that once out of beginner you can never return.

Regards, John
Right. I now understand. Thank you! :D

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
yes that's right - but just to confuse you - depending on what it's done - the dog that hasn't won out of beginners can still work in beginners IF it's also worked by a handler who is still in beginners!!/? (but maybe we shouldn't go there as i am confusing the issue)

please note that LIMIT shows (such as limited to number of entries, or breed) are different from OPEN and CHAMPIONSHIP Obedience Shows as wins in Limit shows do not count towards your open/championship show eligiblity - so in theory you could go to a Limit show where ALL your dogs' lowest class is Novice (if you have had the wins at Limit level) whereas you might be in Pre-Beginners as your lowest class at Open/Ch shows

sorry i hope i haven't confused you totally - any problems just ask

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kaladancer said:
yes that's right - but just to confuse you - depending on what it's done - the dog that hasn't won out of beginners can still work in beginners IF it's also worked by a handler who is still in beginners!!/? (but maybe we shouldn't go there as i am confusing the issue)

please note that LIMIT shows (such as limited to number of entries, or breed) are different from OPEN and CHAMPIONSHIP Obedience Shows as wins in Limit shows do not count towards your open/championship show eligiblity - so in theory you could go to a Limit show where ALL your dogs' lowest class is Novice (if you have had the wins at Limit level) whereas you might be in Pre-Beginners as your lowest class at Open/Ch shows

sorry i hope i haven't confused you totally - any problems just ask
So if I win out of pre-beginners in a limit show, thats doesn't count towards an open show?

Why can't life be simple? :lol:

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
yes if you win out of beginners at a limit show (say a beginner and novice win), it rules you out of entering beginners at any other limit show in the future but it doesn't affect you as regards open/champ show eligibility

HOWEVER - wins at champ/open level will affect your status at limit shows -

confused enough yet ??

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kaladancer said:
yes if you win out of beginners at a limit show (say a beginner and novice win), it rules you out of entering beginners at any other limit show in the future but it doesn't affect you as regards open/champ show eligibility

HOWEVER - wins at champ/open level will affect your status at limit shows -

confused enough yet ??
:lol: :lol: I think I get it, but will probably forget by the time I win out of anything! :lol: :lol: A friend atthe club I go to has just won out of pre-beginners at an open show and she has 2 dogs.

Thank you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts