Labradors Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name's Mo and I didn't buy from the best breeder I could have :oops: :oops: :oops:

Just been getting my daily LF fix and reading the thread about that poor wee fella handed/dumped 8O into rescue on Christmas Day. Was away to post a reply saying how shocked I was, beggars belief etc and then I thought, no, because I'm not certain my breeder would take Bracken back if I ever needed him/her too (not that I would, she's here for keeps) and I'm not certain that I'd buy from the same person again. So, I reckoned I'd be sat in my glass house throwing stones if I did reply and decided to 'fess up instead.

However, in my defence - health checks were done, litter was planned (but admittedly probably not to the level of detail and precision as it should've been) and raised well, and the support I received post-purchase was reasonable. I say reasonable because it wasn't as extensive as I'd have liked. BUT, it's only now I'm realising that I could really get into owning labs and getting involved in working them etc as a hobby/serious interest, and I was probably unwittingly looking for the breeder to feed (or humour??!!!) my enthusiasm (that I didn't really realise I had if that makes sense?) - which, of course he/she wouldn't do as that's not their area of interest/expertise. Needless to say, I went a-looking elsewhere and got lots of excellent info/support from you guys and KCGD trainers. I do also know that the breeder did take a pup back within a matter of days/weeks from someone who messed them about.... but I'd be doubtful that they'd take any of the others back at any later stage in their lives as I wasn't explicitly told to get in touch if ever needing to rehome.

Bracken's pedigree aint fabulous, the mating didn't bring any benefits to the breed and I'd do things differently next time. I do really hope though (crosses fingers and toes) that I wasn't totally stupid and that although I acknowledge my breeder is from the 'lower end' of the market that I had enough sense to do a bit of homework and that this will stand us in good stead. If I'm being totally honest, I thought the top notch breeders wouldn't let me have a pup because I'm a single professional who works (not full time though). If I was a breeder and looking at someone like me on paper, I wouldn't sell to them either, but I knew I'd give my puppy a cracking home and a cracking life, and I'd definitely now have the confidence to seek a pup from a first class breeder in the future. Hopefully I'll have met Prince Charming by then and will be able to make my dogs my life's work!!

So, guilty as charged. Sorry for such long post. Taken ages to write/word. Am I still allowed on the forum?!

:)

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
You did your homework in as much as the health checks had been done and i assume Bracken`s parents were KC registered?, many of us here have confessed to not having done all we could due mianly to ignorance of what we should have been looking for when searching for a pup.

I`m among them myself, I didn`t know much at all about why hips should be scored and nothing about other health tests that should be done or are advisable, I`ve been lucky with CJ and he`s been a healthy boy.

So yes I think your still allowed here :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
908 Posts
A lot of people here have done the same im sure. I know soooooo much more than i used to but then surely thats what the forum is for. I would do things so differently now if i had another puppy. Actually because of the forum and since having rescued my cavalier girl Pippa from a disgusting puppy farm (shes 8 and has had litters every season) and my Cooper who was kept nearly all day every day in a shed i think we will only have rescues now. You live and learn!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,716 Posts
As most people know already I got Charlie from a 'dodgy' breeder at somewhere between 5 and 6 weeks old,

Thanks to the forum and friends I've made on here I've just bought a puppy from an excellent breeder :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Ive learnt such a lot from here, I got Ruby from a dodgy place, :oops: heart ruled my head. Got her insured straight away just incase.
Shes such a sweet heart I just couldnt walk away.

I wouldnt do it again,I know better now thanks to this forum. But I know I will do my best for her whatever happens in the future.

Next time I would go for a rescue dog :)

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Well, I have bought from both ends of the spectrum - the one from a very good and well known breeder and is no good for the purpose I bought her (no-one in particulars fault, I hasten to add, just one of those things), the one from the worse "breeder" is the best of the lot - shame she has no papers!!! :lol: :lol:

Ya win some, ya lose some!

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Dont worry it happens to a lot of people, you like me, are not the first and I am sure unfortunately will not be the last :(

Just enjoy her and love her as you do :D At least we learned from it and will not do it again :wink:

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
My Hartley was born from a 'pet to pet' mating, hasn't an affix to be seen in his 3 generation pedigree, no health tests on the parents and was bought on a whim! I did like the fact though, that he was one of only 4 pups in the litter and was born and raised in the livingroom with buckets of love and attention and he only cost me £200! We also over-excercised him as a pup and made a billion and one other 'mistakes' along the way. But, having said all that, he has reached the age of 10 and apart from a few lumps and a lot of grey hairs, he's as fit as a flea (just come back from a 3 hour hill walk and no doubt he'd go again if I rattled his lead!) and has the most placid, easy temperment of all my dogs.

Yes, I'd do things differently now, but I didn't know 10 years ago what I know now, and would have hated to have missed out on having Hartley.

No-one is born knowing everything (or dies knowing everything!)

Becs and The Gang

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Nobody really knows my full background and where Indy came from. I chose not to share the details because I also did it wrongly and wish I'd found this forum prior to buying her. HOWEVER...we have her and I'd certainly not give her back. There won't be a next time, but if there was to be, then I'd do more research and use a 'proper' breeder. It makes me sad that the breeder we got her from has shunned all contact from me, promises from her to pop over and see Indy and how she's settled have been empty and she's gone from a welcoming person allowing us to visit and interact with Indy three times a week in her home before taking her with us to making excuses as to why we can't go around.
There are several of us on this forum who didn't 'stick to the rules'. I don't think any of us would be blamed if we either gave the puppy back or took it to a rescue. It's the breeders who are at fault for either a) breeding irresponsibly or b) selling irresponsibly!!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
when we got ollie we saw him advertised and just went along and paid our money thats how we thought it was done until we came on here and saw how it should be :(

armed with all the info this time it was a pleasure and a joy getting maisie :D

i would like to say i would have done things differently but then we wouldnt have the beautiful boy that ollie has turned into :D

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
I am one who did things less than perfectly too. You did more than I did in that you bought from health tested stock. I was like Mary, and knew so little about it. Charlie was not from hip- or elbow-scored parents as far as I know, and I am sure no eye tests either.

So far I too have been lucky, and physically he is healthy, although he has an edge to his temperament which is not typically labrador and if I had known it was inherent in some of his family lines (as it is) then I might have thought twice.

However, he is mine now, we all adore him and he is going nowhere! :wink: :D

Helen.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Thats such a touching post. I think you did everything RIGHT actually judging from your description of the breeder. AND they took one pup back - I mean, lets be honest, no breeder WANTS to take pups back - even good ones because it means a lot of upset and hassle if they do not have a kennel environment which most don't.... and then finding another home etc etc. The fact they took one shows they might help you out if you had ever needed it, so quite honestly I think your breeder sounds like, by accident or because you did homework, one of the better guys!

I also don't think that because you didn't maybe purchase a dog in quite the same way THEN as you would NOW you don't have the right to comment on any thread you like! Including ones about not purchasing wisely!

For me a bit of homework before purchase is essential and these days not too much to ask, BUT if its NOT done, you can only try and do a bit of a better job next time round.

The sod that always throws a curve ball into the fire is that many buying from POOR breeders will have a manageable happy healthy dog for 15 years - buy from a GOOD breeder who have done and do all they can for them - and the pup goes down with everything going!

Life and fate is like that! ;-)

Di

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
ok so we are all confessing..............

I got my first pedigree labrador from the Daily Record.....lowers head in shame

that was twenty years ago and boy have I learnt things since then

I saw an advert, did the phone call, went to see pup, got the guilt trip put on me, came home with yellow puppy.............yes she was from a puppy farmer who turned her back on me the moment I had a problem

If only we knew then what we know now !!!!!!!!!!!!!! aint that the truth

in saying that Jemma turned out to be my foundation girl and all my dogs go back to her

I would not change the fact I had Jemma for a moment, she was great and I learnt so much from her but in hind sight DOH how silly was I

we can only learn from the mistakes we make and we will make many mistakes in our lifes

it is so hard not to let your heart rule your head

LF over the years has been a font of information to many out there and for that I take my hat off to you all,

Long Live Information

keep learning, keep listening, keep fighting for our wonderful breed The Labrador

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Wehen we got our first lab Shady 6 years ago we had no idea of health tests etc we knew the sire had hip scores and clear eye cert but the mother didnt but we took the chance and have been lucky as her hips came back as a ten . Pleased to say now we know alot more about breeding and health tests and matching pedigrees so when we breed we we research the sire and do the best we can. I think most people get caught out at the begining but most of us learn as we go along. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts