Labradors Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been saving and got some Christmas donations towards my camera fund.... so today i went off to buy it :D :blob7: :blob7: :blob7:

and now i have to wait for the battery to charge before i can play :evil: :roll:

its a Canon 450d DSLR and i'm so excited!

got a cool speedlight from OH for Christmas so there will be no stopping me!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Congratulations :D Does you OH know that the camera is the least expense and the real expense has not yet started? :wink:

It is the glass that costs - and decent glass is a must otherwise it is pointless getting a DSLR.

However, if I may recommend the most inexpensive piece of glass that produces excellent results is the nifty fifty - the 50mm 1.8 prime lens - usually retails at a very very cheap £70 and an essential piece of kit.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the camera came with the 18-55mm IS lens but i'd like an additional lens with a bit more zoom to take action shots of dogs and of OH doing his wakeboarding... any recommendations for that?

i'm lucky that i use DSLR's at work and hence know a bit but i still get confused with tech info! :lol:

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
_Sam_ said:
the camera came with the 18-55mm IS lens but i'd like an additional lens with a bit more zoom to take action shots of dogs and of OH doing his wakeboarding... any recommendations for that?

i'm lucky that i use DSLR's at work and hence know a bit but i still get confused with tech info! :lol:
The 18-55 kit lens is okay, but nothing really special, nice to see they have added IS to it though.

Basically wide-angled lenses are for taking landscape and zoom for taking action/wildlife and to an extent portraits (although the prime lenses are great portrait lenses)

One of the best all-round lenses I have bought is the 28-135 IS - by all-round it means it will do for anything and is a good walk around lens as you will find, eventually that you want to take a walk-around one with you rather than lug a full kit around.

On the zoom front, it depends how much zoom you want - how far roughly you are going to be from your subject etc.

The best glass is of course L glass, but then we are talking real money as you can pay literally thousands for one lens.

I would recommend the nifty fifty for your kit, and a good walk around all round lens, and perhaps something like an upto 300mm zoom, but remember you will need a decent tripod for zoom lens - even if IS for anything 300mm +

By the sound of it, the kit lens is no good for your needs, so if you find you don't use it much, the best thing you can do is sell it.

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
we bought Husband a Nikon D60 for christmas and absolutely darn tooten the camera bit is the cheapest!!! The lens he wants is 18-200 mm and will spring another £400, which I've told him he will have to wait for!

Never having been anything but a point and shoot user before, I do love the new camera for close ups and low lights and ooooh lots of stuff like texture and colours and just image quality....BUT the lens it comes with is limited on zoom.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
If you are looking to buy other lenses, I posted a link previously to an eBay seller (Kerso/Flash Camera) as I have bought a few lenses from him and found his prices much better than the camera stores I had looked at.

You can find him here:
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/FLASH-CAMERA_CANON-SLR-LENSES_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZ1QQfsubZ5QQftidZ2QQtZkm

but if you are after a particular lens and he's not listed it, it's worth contacting him to see if he can obtain it.

I haven't bought any new lenses for quite a while but his prices were great when I was buying.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks..... going to off to play with camera now :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts