Labradors Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ruby's having what appears to be a 'Kevin' day today. It started early, with her pulling all the time on her walk, something she's not done for a while.

Even though I gave her a play and training session this morning before I started work, she's been constantly pestering me to play with her. As it's not raining, I've opened the back door so she can get out in the garden to entertain herself, but she kept heading for the same corner where there was a particularly nasty spiky plant she kept trying to chew. No matter how many times I shouted 'off' or 'no' she just ignored me. I tried calling her back and giving her a treat, or distracting her with a rawhide bone, but no she just kept either trying to get me to play with her or returned to the nasty spiky thing. So, fed up of being ignored, I've just had to go out and chop the nasty plant right back so she can't get to it.

I feel so mean saying 'no' when she's bugging me to play, but she has to understand that I can't play with her 24/7 and that I have to work. Usually she's fine, and settles down on the futon and dozes, but today she's full of beans and just not getting the hint, and I'm just getting wound up by it. I suspect it's not helping that I'm feeling ill and frazzled, having been awake half the night with a gippy tummy. If she keeps on bugging me I'll have to give her a raw bone to chew on, just so I can get some time to work in peace! I can't wait until the 'Kevin' phase is over, though I've no idea when that will be!

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Aww bless it sounds like she is full of beans and wants to share the joy with her mummy!!!!!

Eve Neo and Bramble

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
I was looking at her age, she's around 8 months? Yep, definite teenage phase! But then again I was always told that labs are quite demanding, particularly of attention.

Cadbury has a range of 'naughty tricks' to try and get my attention. From stealing off counters to slamming doors on himself (yes, that's a new one). He'll drop things on your toes, whack you hard on the leg with his paw and in general be naughty.

But these days I'm being tougher, if its real bad he gets put in a different room with something like a kong. Then he'll whinge and whine :roll:

And if it had been Cadbury and the spiky plant, then I might have gotten so fed up that (as long as the thing wasn't poisonous) I would have let him bit it and discover for himself why I was saying leave!

I just wish he craved my attention at training class! Instead he craves attention off everyone else when we get there!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has she had her first season yet?

I know a lot of bitches calm down a lot after that first one but before that they can be rather trying. It's like they need that dose of hormones to get the "naughties" out of the way. :lol:

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
Oh yes!!! This is the pushing your buttons stage!! I remember it so well. Now is the time to double your efforts and re-affirm the rules. Just when you thought things were going so well too ;)

Huds was about the same age when he decided he knew better and that I didn't really mean what I said. Pasco a little older. I've now learned that its better for a wee short time to be firmer and harder on them than you have ever been in order to (a) shorten the time the mardy stage takes and (b) regain control!

I didn't really do that with Huds, and although he is pretty good, he does still take the P more than his younger brother! Not to say that Pasco is the archangel gabriel mind! ;)

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I totally agree with Fee - she talks sense :)

I'm just coming through this phase with Bracken (and it lasted months!!!) From about 9 months her good behaviour just fell off a cliff and I was honestly left with devil dog. I was sure season was a-coming so I kept going with training etc, safe in the knowledge that her season would come soon and all would be well. Well, it took her months and months to actually come into season, despite all the tell-tale sales. The lowest point was a training day I went on just a couple of weeks before she did actually come into season. She was horrendous with a capital H. Didn't know her name, made it look like she couldn't even sit, never mind stay. I was within an inch of throttling her. Shortly after she had a go at one of my cats, and that was the final straw. Thereafter absoultely no more Mrs Nice Guy. The boundaries were tightened so much there was no room for further tightening!! She eventually came into season, and I can honestly say post-season she is now an absolute dream. Had her at a training day on Sunday, and she did everything she was asked, and more besides!!

Hang in there... once she's had her season and is that wee bity older, you'll see all the difference :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, typically now I've had a moan about her she's parked herself on the futon (with a very Keviny huffy sigh) and is dozing. I'm glad I cut the plant back, it seems to have diminished her interest in that corner of the garden. I wasn't just afraid she might prick her mouth on the very nasty spikes, but also she kept teetering on the edge of the wall and I was worried she'd fall off! It's not a big drop, but she'd probably have a hell of a job getting back up again!

Jules & Moj - no she hasn't had a season, but she was speyed last month so I'm aware that she may remain a bit immature because of the timing of the speying. The vet didn't think this would be an issue, but it's something I'm always keeping in the back of my mind.

To be fair to her, she could be so much worse - today's just 'one of those days' and as I say not helped by the fact my patience is pretty non-existent as I'm so tired. Most days she's content with a couple of play and training sessions and then settles down quite well while I work. The last week or so while OH has been away I've seen a marked change in her behaviour, for the better. I guess that's why the return of 'Kevin' came as a bit of a shock today!

It does frustrate me, though, that even on good days she really doesn't seem to understand the word 'no'! I guess this will change in time. Poor girl. I feel very guilty for moaning about her now she's being good again!

Oh, and Feebarn - every time I see that photo of Hudson I'm really struck by Ruby's resemblance to her half-brother!

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
Its the ears!!!!!!!!

They both have the same curtain ears!!! I love it!!! :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Feebarn said:
Its the ears!!!!!!!!

They both have the same curtain ears!!! I love it!!! :)
Haha! Yes! And the expression on his face in that solo pic, Ruby has the exact same expression - I notice the resemblance more and more now she's getting older and losing her 'puppiness'.

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
this photo from when Huds was a pup shows a similar expression to your avatar!!!

He still does that now, espescially if he's got the hump!

This was taken just recently when he was made to wait in the car for an extended period!

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Its one of those,,, Labs, Why oh Why do we have them????????? :roll: :roll: :roll: .

Because we love every bone in they lovely bodies. And they love us just as much. :) :) :) .

·
Registered
426 Posts
Ho hum!.....at 8.5 months, Beetle is still in his "mummy can't do anything wrong" phase....I know the little sod bit is coming though..

I'm wondering if she is reacting to the fact that your OH is away at the moment?.. I have to travel a fair bit abroad for work and apparently the bug is far more naughty when I'm not around (not least, hunting out MY shoes and half destroying them)

Bracing myself for the day when he stops being a Mummy's boy!

Gerry

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
You're not alone! So far in the hour (ahem!) I've been up Theo has got a bit overfriendly with his bed, and continued on the hole he's already started. Stolen the coasters about 3 times, attempted to chew the wii fit board, and just sat on the mat and moaned at me. I wish I could shove him up the garden with a bone but it's absolutely chucking it down here!!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Feebarn that picture of Hudson waiting in the car is so funny. He looks so full of woe, as if he has been abandoned forever! They really do know how to look stricken and mournful don't they- Stan runs to the door every time I go start getting ready to go out and the expression on his face when he realizes that I am going to leave him... he breaks my heart, even when I know I'm just popping out for some milk!
Sue, Stan was exactly the same as a little pup, he literally never slept and we would go out for a walk, come home, do some training, play a game and he STILL wanted more fun. I used to feel terribly guilty about getting on and doing other stuff but l think labs would play with you 24/7 if you let them. It's good for them to learn that they can't have your attention all the time and now Stan is very chilled out. These days when he asks me to play- usually by stuffing a toy in my lap- when I can't he doesn't then go off and wreak havoc on the garden/ cushions/ cats!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ooh, lots of follow-ups while I've been busy working! Thanks!

Gixju - You're right!

Fee - You're right, there's a definite ear match there. And Ruby pulls that very same mournful face (she's been doing it for the past 10 minutes because I refused to play with her again!)

Gerry - If anything Ruby has generally been better behaved while OH hasn't been here (though I'm sure that's just coincidence!) That's why her sudden reversion to being very disobedient this morning came as such a surprise.

Goldiesgirl - you've made me feel much better about Ruby's naughtiness, if that helps. She's not been quite as naughty as Theo - yet! It's chucking it down here, too, but that doesn't seem to stop Ruby's desire to get out and chew the garden shrubs. She loves the wet!

Alba - you're right, and that's why I'm trying to not give in and play with Ruby on demand. I fear I'd be making a rod for my own back!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Well, it's always easier to say these things with the benefit of hindsight! When Stan was a puppy there were times when he'd drive me up the wall with his attention seeking antics and I do think that I probably gave in to him a bit too much, especially the first few months when I was permanently worried about not giving him enough mental stimulation! Still, he seems to have turned out alright- I have just heard a long whinge coming from the other room, which I think translates into "mum, I want to go out". Now when he was a pup he would have chosen to express that in more colourful ways!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts