Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poppy went for her yearly check-up and boosters on Monday, she is now 2. Paul the vet said she was a credit to me! She was really good, although had to go round the staff for a cuddle before we went in the surgery!

I bought Poppy because I was in a really bad place mentally. My husband and children are very good but they can't be with me 24/7. When I brought Poppy home I really wasn't sure I would be able to give her what she needed in terms of exercise as I am also disabled and can walk for a limited distance. Anyway Poppy has been a star. She is with me all day, apart from at bed times as she doesn't like the stairs, and also likes sleeping in the porch with the cat! She can read me like a book and when I feel down she comes and brings me a toy to play with and when on the lead doesn't pull if I am holding it. The exercise issue has been addressed as my friend has a paddock, within walking distance for me, where Poppy runs about like crazy, if she's lucky with one of my friends dogs.

Poppy has really made my life worth living and for Paul to say that she is a credit to me made my day. I didn't want Poppy to suffer because of my problems and it seems she isn't doing!

Thank you Poppy!

Susan and Poppy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for your comments.

When I had my first breakdown we had Barney (black) and Simpson (chocolate). As part of my cognitive behaviour therapy when I felt the depression coming on I would take them a walk. Barney loved his walks, but poor Sim wasn't keen on exercise. One day I took them out 8 times. Barney was in his element but Sim sat at the edge of the field and waited for us to go back to him!

The second breakdown came 4 years later when first Barney was pts suddenly, then 5 months later Sim had to be pts with a broken heart. I kept going after Barney for Sim but then it was as if my world had fallen apart. I managed for 3 years but felt so empty.

I was worried I was asking too much from a puppy to fill the huge hole in my life but Poppy has done exactly that. She is a clever, loving and such a sweetie.

Susan and Poppy

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts