Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son likes being by himself watching sport in the spare bedroom and does not like being around people, so we got sky and TV set up for him and he watches all sport quite happily ( though my neighbours probably think we just ignore him :( ), he is severely autistic and has no communication at all. He has not and never will be able to go out on his own :!:

I took the dogs out and I must have forgotten to lock the front door on my return, I went to shout him to take him to see the aeroplanes (he is obsessed with them along with trains, buses etc etc). He did not come down so I went up and could not find him, I checked the whole house and he was gone 8O

Rushed out the door, neighbour says there is an ambulance round the corner, OH rushes round and I get in the car, we get round it is not him but no idea where he is, my neighbour had gone up the way to look for him and the kids in the street went to the play park. The ambulance was not for him and police in attendance so they were called and I drove about to look for him, shaking and in pieces, drove 5 minutes up the road and there he was, waiting to see the train. I stopped the car and up he strolled and got in the car :?

Drove back down the road and police were here, neighbour is in the car with me and I stop to tell OH and police we have him :)

So back round we come to the house and the police come and take details for there records in case he does this again

Anyway, I am always vigilant about the doors being locked, my house is like fort know, but this was my fault and I feel like the worst mother in the world :cry: :cry: :cry: :( He has had plenty of cuddles and he has no idea anything he did was wrong :( :!: :!:

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
oh Linda, you are absolutely not the worst Mum in the world, you just had an oversight - that just makes you human, you're still a great Mum.

I'm so pleased you found him swiftly

Big Hugs
xxxx

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, i know i am not the worst mother in the world and it is very hard dealing with things but I just feel like it today :( Tomorrow is another day and I will be OK it then :?

·
Registered
874 Posts
You won't do yourself any good by beating yourself up about this - we all make mistakes and forget things.

I'm sure you are a great mother - having a child with autism is very demanding, especially when the condition is severe.

(((((((((((((((Hugs and calm down vibes))))))))))))

Liz + Jed

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Linda, I am absolutely sure you are far from the worst mother, in fact your posts make me think you are a very good mother. If you were a bad mother you'd not feel the way you did about what happened :grouphuuug:

It must have been so frightening for you, but he's safe and you did all the right things once you realised he had gone and had others out helping you.

Have your OH make you a nice cuppa with some sugar - and maybe something stronger later! - and have some Rescue Remedy if you have any :grouphuuug:

C

·
0 Posts
You bad mother for being a human being!!!

Seriously, im sure your son couldnt have a happier life than he has with you and he is now home safe, so try not to worry.

Now repeat after me " i AM a good mum" :wink:

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
It sounds like you have a tough time, but I'm sure every mother has taken their eyes off their kids at just the wrong moment. All's well that ends well. x

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Linda, please dont feel like that. I know its hard not to sometimes, my daughter has adhd and they test you to your limits sometimes dont they.

I think you sound like one of the best mothers in the world just from what you wrote and how caring you are.

:hug

Tracey
x

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Aww Linda - hugs! What a horrible shock and experience for you!

You have an awful lot to cope with, in coping with his disability - autism is a very difficult condition to deal with - all you did was have a momentary lapse, we all ahve those...

He is home safe and well, none the worse for wear and quite happy in that he went to see the trains... you mobilised people and the police and went to loook in the right place...

Pat yourself on hte back - you are clearly a great mum who knows her son very well - and you handled it very well indeed....

Eve Neo and Bramble

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Linda you are a silly billy :roll: you can see by all these posts that you are far from a bad mum!!! You did not stage your daughters kidnap. You have not ever abused your child. You have not neglected him in anyway, shape or form.
With all the pressure of everyday living, dogs, money worries etc etc you let one little ball slip from the juggle. No worries. Your beloved son was found safe and well :D if it happens again the Police are now aware of his obsession and will assist in trying to find him.
IF anyone thinks you are a bad mother then they are not worth it. In fact they are a waste of space.
Rest a while, put your feet up and acknowledge that you do a splendid job :D :D

((((((((((((((((((BIG HUGS))))))))))))))))))))

Emma
XXX

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Don't beat yourself up - you are not a bad mother, we all feel like it sometimes but we're not :) all children can be difficult sometimes but you are a star coping with a child with autism. We all make mistakes and the only thing you need to concentrate on is the fact he is safe and home :D

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
It's the hardest job in the world, being a Mum, and none of us get our babies to adulthood without a few hiccups on the way. Hope you are feeling better now.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all, i do feel better now i have stopped shaking and crying :oops: :oops:

He is difficult but I am so blessed to have him, hard work but an absolute delight, he is also very stubborn and strong willed like me which along with his high intelligence makes him a real handful.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for your kind words

I need a brandy now but wont, OH cant have a drink and he was worse than me as he is working tonight :(

1 - 20 of 36 Posts