Labradors Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Twix is 14 next week, blind in one eye and very little sight in the other, has arthritis but does not need any medication for it. She goes out for her walk with the hooligans once a day, she is on lead for most of it, only let off for about 15 minutes to have a donder, she goes down a bank has a paddle in the water and comes back when she wants (nothing new for her :roll: :roll: :roll: )

The last 4 days she has been toiling a bit, panting heavily not sure because of the heat ( it is not here the last few days) or laryngal paralysis :? She detests the vets and I dont want to take her if not absolutely necessary. She also does not appear to want to walk as far, but we stop and wait for her and I dont walk fast because of her. She is keen to go for walks and eating/peeing and pooing normally.

We are aware she will probably not have long left unfortunately but I am not sure if she is really struggling because her eyes dont give us that signal :? If she was really telling us that the time was here, we would do the right thing for her but I dont think she is (about 99% sure she is not)

She sleeps a lot of the day and sleeps away from the hooligans at night, so she does get peace. Maybe walking her for less of a distance would suit but she breaks her heart when she does not go with the young ones :roll:

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Oh sorry Linda, it sounds as though she is getting to the stage where she just needs a little potter around and then left to snooze, bit like us when we get older.

Im sure you would know if she was suffering and I know you would do the right thing by her

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Bless her :grouphuuug: Could you make her up a nice kong or save a special bone for her to have if you go out with the younger girls for longer perhaps?

I know you said she doesn't need medication for her arthritis, but do you give her any supplements? Just thinking it would be worth trying something like Synflex if you don't already :flower:

Sounds to me though she is happy with her life - long may it continue :flower:

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Poor Twix.

I think I'd take her out for just short plods Linda, perhaps without the others? Maybe just 5-10 mins a few times a day? Doesn't sound like she needs to be checked over by a vet (although I know nothing of the paralysis whatsit you mention, and maybe that would warrant the vet checking her over?)

Has it been warm in Edinburgh these past few days??? I've been bloomin freezing over in Fife.... had my jacket on when out with the dogs every day and am very close to putting the central heating on!

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Anglea, she gets green lipped mussel and glucosamine, plus cod liver oil, sorry forgot to mention :oops: :oops: :oops: They all now get probiotic natural yoghurt (to help soothe her throat) and tinned fish with olive oil twice a week

I know she does not need much walk wise but if she is left she is miserable, so she has a slow walk and she stops when she wants and has a sniff about, so I know she still wants to be here :?

What is Synflex and would I get it from my vet :?: or can i buy it online ?

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Moj said:
Poor Twix.

I think I'd take her out for just short plods Linda, perhaps without the others? Maybe just 5-10 mins a few times a day? Doesn't sound like she needs to be checked over by a vet (although I know nothing of the paralysis whatsit you mention, and maybe that would warrant the vet checking her over?)

Has it been warm in Edinburgh these past few days??? I've been bloomin freezing over in Fife.... had my jacket on when out with the dogs every day and am very close to putting the central heating on!
Thanks Mo, I would rather take her for short plods and I do when I get home from work just me and her, but she wants to go out with the other two but maybe that has to stop :? but knowing Twix she will be gutted and i dont want her to give up, if that makes sense :?:

This may sounds stupid but I have never had a dog of this age before and it is a first for me :?

PS Edinburgh has been freezing on Sunday, Saturday was nice as was today but I am not one to feel the cold until the winter :lol: (must be to do with my ample padding i think :roll: :lol: :lol: )

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
I thought you did use supplements :flower:

_Linda_ said:
What is Synflex and would I get it from my vet :?: or can i buy it online ?
I don't think vets sell it, I buy it online from: http://www.synflexforpets.co.uk/ at the moment, a bottle would last one dog at least 6 weeks I would think.

It's a liquid, so I put it on their food. It was recommended by other dog owners and I think it's about the best stuff we've tried :)

Have you tried some honey dissolved in water or even licked off the spoon, to help soothe her throat too?

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
I`m inclined to agree with the others Linda in that Twix would probably be better going out by herself or maybe one of the others but not both, Cindy is much the same at 12yo, although she will stride off at the start of a walk, she`ll slow right down and I have to wait for her (not CJ he`s off exploring :lol: )

Can someone be with her at home while your out with the younger dogs?

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OH takes them out in the day when I am at work and then I take Twix and the young ones out seperately at night

I will try the synflex Anglea, off to buy some of that :wink: I will try some honey and cooled water in her food, she will not take medicine, so we have to hide it :roll:

Twix is the kind of dog if she did not want to go out for a walk we would know it was time :( I am really not explaining this well at all, but will talk to OH about walking seperately from the hooligans.

Seeing the vet on Wednesday with Cori anyway and he has known Twix since she was 7 weeks old, will ask what he thinks, though he is amaed that she is still here :? But I am happy that she is :)

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Poor old lady. Even if she doesn't really want to, it's probably time for her to pootle about without those zooming young ones.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
We have a similar issue here, the dogs don't really like being walked seperately really but Theo (10 months) needs to go a lot further than Goldie (14 years). Our normal Theo walk is to a field near our house where he can have a run and then back, we then pick up Goldie and walk to a slightly closer field where Goldie can have a potter. On the days Theo goes for longer walks, to the river/on the moor etc. Goldie stays home and later in the eve we take them both together for a little potter round the closer field. It's kind of the best of both worlds situation really.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Aww bless her, she's a wee old wummin who wahts her slippers and hot water bottle....lol/

I think the hooligans are showing you how old she is now.....really time for her to slow down and take it easy in her twilight years.

I would walk her sepratley just so she so she can enjoy the world ay her pace.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts