Labradors Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 13 week old male yellow lab that has been in some pain, with guidance of the vets they have asked us to change the food, the breeders sent home Skinners puppy field and trial food which he loves, but with the diagnosis (basically he is growing too quick) i am keen to change the food. we have seen the xrays of his bones and can see why he is in pain?
What's your thoughts, has anyone else had any experience of this condition?
He is on pain relief and the vets have suggested keeping him quiet for a week, but that is easier said than done?

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
Panosteitis and Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy are very similar problems, though Pano is more usually seen. The maindifference is that where Pano normally affects one leg at a time Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy affects more than one. Both can reoccur during the growing period. but are self limiting, meaning that when the growing finishes it goes away. I had Pano with my Kate many years ago, and was prescribed PLT tablets for her, but these days Metacam or Rimadyl is the usual painkiller. Dropping the protein level may probably help, Skinners Field and Trial Puppy is 27%. Alternatives from the same stable are There Working Dog which is 21% or their Maintenance which is 18%. For my part I'm not happy with puppy food, logic says there is no such thing in the wild and again, we dont have "children food!" In fact puppy food is a very new development on the part of the pet food manufacturers and for most of my time in dogs did not exist, and our dogs grew up perfectly fine! My approach is to buy a sack of whatever the breeder was using, then for every handful I take out I replace it with a handful of the adult and mix well in, so it's a gradual slow changeover. I use a maintenance grade from a different manufacturer, but it's near enough identical to the Skinners Maintenance. (I won a sack of Skinners in a gundog working test, so I do know it.) Incidentally Skinners plough a lot of money back into dogs by sponsoring working gundog events.

Field & Trial | Skinner's (skinners.co.uk)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts