Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

We got our rescue girl home and she has been amazing, very gentle, well trained and affection. She has fitted straight in to the family. We are thrilled after reading some horror stories.

She was unwell this morning. She was fine yesterday then seemed lethargic last night and again first thing this morning (no bouncing about or wagging tail on waking) and then she was sick after her walk. Vomited something we had not fed her. She seemed fine afterwards but we took her to the vet because we don't really know her yet. Vet suggested either putting her on a bland diet, giving an anti-nausia injection and letting her rest OR keeping her in for 2 days and putting her on a drip!!? We had explained she ate and drank last night and had water this morning so surely she can't be dehydrated. Sounds crazy and completely over the top. The vet also suggested a general anaesthetic and tartar removal for bad breath. Not that you can see me but do I have £££ written on my head?

Does this seem a slight over-reaction?

Thanks for any comments.

Rich

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
It does seem slightly ott at this stage. Put her on a bland diet and keep a close eye on her. Any more sickness etc go back but sounds like she ate something that really didn't agree with her. Hope she perks up soon

·
Registered
370 Posts
Pleased your girl is settling in well. :D

It does seem a bit of an over-reaction to me. I know of three dogs I meet regularly who have vomited and been slightly under the weather for a couple of days and are fine now, so I wonder if there are some bugs around. Of course if she stopped drinking and had profuse diarrhoea as well, that would be more of a worry.

With regards to teeth, that's more difficult. My parents have a lab, fed a variety of wet and dry food. They brush her teeth daily with a bit of milk and the vet is very happy with her teeth.

My pup started to get a lot of brown staining on her back teeth, which I noticed when she was around 9 months-ish. She had antlers and nyla bones to chew on and she was fed a good kibble. I tried cleaning her teeth, with a slow, gentle introduction, but she didn't tolerate it very well and I couldn't see much improvement. I really didn't want to go down the road of GAs for teeth cleaning, so this is one of the reasons she has raw meaty bones (but this is not for everyone and you need to do a bit of research on the right things to give before considering this).

Don't try the Dentistix, they're no good. One thing I was going to try with Poppy before changing her food, were the Hi Life Dental Chews, which seem to get good reviews, but I don't know much about them

Hope that helps a bit.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Once her tum has settle try a raw bone ;-) Much better and cheaper (and natural) toothbrush. Ask t'Butcher if he has any left over bones - Might even be free.

As for vet: I see a value added money spinner and unless you have absolute faith in them, would look for another.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for comments, reassuring. We will feed her small bland amounts and watch her for a couple of hours then give her more if she holds it down.

We have been cleaning her teeth with some dog tooth paste given by the same vet. She does not seem to know what to do with chewy bone things that are designed to clean teeth but we could try a fresh bone. The marrow might get her attention.

thanks again.

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
I would recommend Plaque Off for her teeth. A small tub costs £11 at Pets at Home (slightly cheaper online) but this will last 2-3 months.

This is a powder that contains enzymes which stops plaque sticking to the teeth and although it takes a couple of months to really show a difference I think it produces good results.

It has got to be worth a go before you resort to a general anaesthetic - unless the rot has gone too far and additional dental treatment is needed.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Hi Rich.

It brings a smile to my face that you have rescued your lab and given her a good home. Welcome to the forum

I agree with the others about monitoring the sickness and the vet but I had one nagging thought.

You mention that she doesn't seem to know what to do with the dental chew treats. That sounds a bit strange. Have you considered that her teeth may be in a worse condition than just needing a good clean. Has she been eating crunchy kibble or wet food. I can't help but wonder if she has a tooth ache. It's very hard for a vet to get a really good look in their mouths and she could have a dental problem in addition to her sickness. When she has recovered from her sickness bout if she were mine I would keep an eye out for any signs of tooth ache, just for peace of mind.

Amanda

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
:lol: :lol:

Absolutely £££'s signs

A vets is a business and sadly there are some unscrupulous ones who will want to make as much money as possible out of their clients.

There is a virus doing the rounds at the mo, a Gastroenteritis type buy, lasts about 3-4 days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts