Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around for a new second hand car to replace my little shed. The poor thing is on it's last legs/wheels! :roll: ( it gets a little embarrassing when I have to climb in the passenger side because the driver's door has dropped on it's hinges and doesn't fasten from the inside! :roll: )
Anyway I've been undecided as to what sort to get. I've now settled on a Renault Megane Scenic after looking around some cars with my DD. The boot is nice and roomy and low enough for Milo to get in and out.
My DD couldn't quite believe it and thought it was funny that I'm taking Milo into account as to which car to get! I did point out that he does travel with me quite a lot and his comfort is just as important as mine! :) Once I'd explained it to her she started to understand!

I was wondering if anyone had others who thought you were crazy taking your furbabies' comfort into account when purchasing something like a car?

?

·
0 Posts
I have a Scenic and it was bought with all our family in mind, including the dogs. It's been the ideal car for us all and I've done nearly 140k in it now, many of those with the dogs in the back. 8)

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I know I'm spoilt but my husband brought me a defender just for the dogs. It smells like a kennel and is full of all my doggy stuff.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My current car is a little peugeot 106 and Milo lords it up on the back seat! Which is not a problem except I can't give anyone a lift because of the hairs! :roll: I do have a cover from PAT on the seat but somehow the hairs still manage to get under it! :roll:
So I've decided to get a car with a big enough boot so he can lord it up there and hopefully the hairs won't be such a problem on the seats! :wink:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
We paid a premium to break our contract and swap our car early for a BMW X3 as Cooper was growing too big to travel on the back seat of our 4door car. He didn't like to travel in the back at first, but got used to it quite quickly.

?

·
0 Posts
Pandypops said:
So I've decided to get a car with a big enough boot so he can lord it up there and hopefully the hairs won't be such a problem on the seats! :wink:
Oh he'll love it once he's used to it. I get 6 dogs in the back of mine regularly, so he'll have plenty of room to stretch his legs in there. I don't find the hairs and mud travel onto the back seats either, so we're safe to take passengers all the time. 8)

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Older model VW Passat TDi Estate here, bought specially for it's huge boot to accommodate the dogs. Had it 7yrs now and still love it! It's done over 170,000 miles and still going strong but is definitely not for posh passengers. Being the family workhorse it's like a dustbin inside, everything from dog leads to a spare trailer wheel and jump leads.

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
My Fabia Estate is brill but Luna has requested a bigger boot please for next time so she can avoid having to be really close to Tucks when she doesn't want to be!! :wink:

I want a boot 'set up' big enough for all the paraphernalia that has to be on back seat next time around!

Good luck with the search! x

·
Registered
551 Posts
We bought our RAV4 entirely for Pepper! We shopped around in our price range for a boot that was both safe and comfy. Pepper is a member of our family so her comfort was top on our list. (afterall, we're in the front seats)

She sits happily in the boot, can see out and is separated from us in the main part of the car by a barrier. Safe and comfy! Perfect!

Hannah & Pepper xx

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gary I think you may be right! If I left it for him to choose it probably would be something like a convertible!
Good job he doesn't have a say in the matter! :wink:

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
What age Scenic are you looking for? The pre 2003 ones were fairly reliable but the newer ones are money pits.

They are prone to having a lot of very expensive problems, we got rid of ours this summer after the automatic handbrake stuck on and I refused to drive it ever again. (Handbrake module costs £800 to replace). Ours was a 1.6 diesel 55 plate which had been serviced regularly and looked after. Ours also had a turbo fault, wiper motor only worked when it felt like it, it faultered in cold weather, developed a burning smell in hot weather, dashboards are known to blank out (and reset to zero when repaired - so check mileage pattern if you still want to buy one). The electric windows had a mind of their own (often opening of their own accord whilst parked up!)

They can only be repaired by people with Renault tools and computers and even changing a headlight bulb is no easy task (according to the manual you need to remove a wheel and the wheel arch trim to get access to the front ones - unless you have very long, flexible arms).

I know other people like theirs but if you read some of the owners forums on the internet you will hear the same sort of thing over and over.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The Skoda Fabia estate is the main family car. I also have a Nissan Micra... I don't think you'll be interested in the later... about as bad dog car as you could get tbh!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts