Very interesting. i did know some on the list especially Chocolate. I am very surprised re Garlic my dogs have always had Garlic as a supplement daily. I know many people that give there dogs the clove. Helps to combat fleas.
i am afraid to say i give my dogs :roll:
NOT everyday but my kids love raisins and a few escape them brandy is onto to them so fast..lol..
milk they have a small bit roughly once a week or 2 weekly but i do water it down does that make a difference???
apples brandy eats quite often she is always drooling at my knee waiting for me to give her the rest of the apple...lol..but this i will stop
grapes again its like the raisins if one escapes brandy plays with it then eats it..lol..
chocolate i do know that can be lethal to dogs so if i give my dogs some its only a tiny weeny bit
you dont really think what foods can be dangerous to your animals when they sitting there giving you there forlorn look..lol..hmmm i might go look more foods up and see what else im feeding them thats wrong..lol..
thanks for that article
In small amounts grapes, apples & raisins have not been known to have any harmful affects, it's only when they have been consumed in large amounts that there has been past reports they have cause harm.
Chocolate on the other hand i would advise against, even in small amounts.
With regard to milk it's not so much dangerous, it's more disagreeable and only in some dogs. :wink:
Yes, i too have heard that garlic supplements are good for useage of preventing fleas, as seen in this link:
Garlic supplements have known benefits according to my research if given in supplements daily, it is onions if given daily that can cause an upset in your Lab. (These two food groups are often linked together)
Hope this helps, as the article is just a guideline only, if you are not sure about anything, please check with your vet. :wink:
Regarding the grapes section that says . It is still unknown what it is in grapes that causes these problems. I have read somewhere that it is a mould that forms on the skin of the grape that is toxic and causes the problems when eaten by dogs, this mould is not visible to the eye and is difficult to wash off – like a lab would wash their fruit before consumption!
Thanks for that. I personally think that dogs should not be given human food, even if not terribly harmful it can upset their stomachs, as milk does in a lot of dogs. I am sure raw vegetables are Ok ie carrotts and Cabbage. But I certainly would avoid even scrapping your plates into their bowls, it can cause upset stomachs.
I feel it is better to feed an animal the same food everyday and then if they have an upset stomach, you are not saying to yourself "Oh I wonder if it was so and so" if they always have the same food then you know it is not the food that has upset them. Just my thoughts, but Garlic is a good supplement for health and also for fleas.
I've always given my dogs scraps (certain things of course) for the past 11yrs and I have had no problems at all.Ben would think his throat had been cut if he did'nt get something on a sunday! :lol: As for the grapes Michaela, Ben does drop his grapes in his water fountain and try to get them out of the water so I guess you could call that washing !!:lol:
All my dogs have had scraps,but dylan is rarely interested as its a job to get him to eat proper food let alone scraps,i always feel sorry for dogs who get fed the same thing day in day out,i could never imagine eating the same food every day,at least i feed different flavours,anyway thats my opinion,i used to give dylan grapes all the time but read somewhere they were bad and stopped,didnt stop him stealing a few yesterday though,Lynne.
We knew about the milk which also applies to yoghurts in Shadow's case. I have a yoghurt every morning and sometimes Shadow would get to lick the pot out (not much left by the time I had finished!) and would sometimes be sick later in the day. We tried leaving out all sorts of things, and finally left out the yoghurts - and hey presto, no more vomitting. So it's no more yoghurts or dairy products, despite the pleading looks and big brown eyes - Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind!
I know there are exceptions, and scraps suit many dogs, in fact many moons ago that is probably all dogs got fed on.
I just have had many people who love to give their dog's something different everyday, then do not know whether a certain food has upset the dogs stomach.
I personally do not think that a dog reasons the same as us and doesn't say to himself oh my god I do not want this again today I had this yesterday !!! I know we all like to think that they are humans although
very clever, there reasoning powers are not like ours.
This is just my opinion, I am sure many people will differ.
I think we are all going to have to have different opinions on this one, and do what ever suits us and our dogs. And who knows dogs might get feed up with the same food, after all they can't tell us any different can they! :lol:
i would have to say yes dogs do get fed up with the same food tessa my late choccy lab had the same food for about 3 weeks then on the 4th week she was having none of it wouldnt even look at it sniffed her nose up and everything..lol..brandy on the other hand was quite happy to eat it but off we went to the shops and bought a different flavour for tessa and she was a happy lab after that so since then every 3-4 weeks we change the flavour of there food or add a touch of gravy for a bit of varity.
i do find though if the dog is on tinned food they dont get bored(my king charles spaniel eats the same food day in day out with a bit of dreid mixer) but dryed food seems to get my labs bored quicker
Hi Julie - Thanks for that information about toxic human foods. It is best that we are all aware of this things especially with Easter coming up and all that chocolate laying about the house.....Mitzie has just stolen a poppodum from the work top (which I don't think was on the list) :roll:
Only just noticed this thread so just to add my little bit on garlic
Onions have been implicated in hemolytic anaemia; although garlic is from the same family it does not have the same effect and is NOT toxic to dogs, cats, horses or humans. All my dogs and myself ingest copious amounts; it is an internal antiseptic, digestion aid and is believed (by some) to be a deterrant to both internal and external parasites.
Yes, Onions are bad for dogs. They lower the haemoglobin level in the blood. Interesting that at one time they were considered to be part of a staple diet for dogs! One VERY well known gundog training book, written by one of the doyens of working retrievers lists it as such in his book, still available at Amazon!
As Megaloo says, at one time human food was the only available food, and believe me, our dogs did well on it. Around the end of the Second World War in the days of food rationing it was all we had. My old boy was over 16 when he died. My dogs now, although having a "Core Food", in the form of a complete food, still get a little of what we have. Personally I feel that because they have a continually changing component in their food it actually helps their stomach. In actual fact, in the wild, a dog would not have the same food day in day out. They are an opportunistic feeder and eat whatever is available at the time, be it dead animals, possibly on the point of decomposition, berries, grass, in fact anything around.
Hey Thanks JohnW... That was indeed very informative...its so true that in the wild they wud have different food rather then just dog food....
Julie,This link's very important & helpful....thanks for adding it...
Out here in Mumbai...Milk is NO NO for these guys but frodo "HAS" to have milk every meal...He refuse to eat without milk but luckily he can digest milk ( yes like claris i do dilute the milk)....
Its MANGO season out here and i give him a half mango which he merrily eats.....I was told apples even if given should be PEELED and not more then 1/2......I've never seen any complaints on Banana i guess it soothes their stomach....