Labradors Forums banner

Huge excitement.... then huge disappointment! Darn *people*!

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Diana 
#1 ·
The excitement here at W was fever pitch on reading the last issue of the Breed Record Supplement. I even text nearest and dearest who might be interested in glee! I emailed my pedigree guru and egenrally started drawing up plans a plenty!

Why? Well one FT CH and one FTW both of whom I hugely admire, had litters in there with two pups apiece each of CHOCOLATE! They threw chocolate! They were black carrying chocolate! I was estatic! They had never produced it before as far as I could check back on and so it had to be a fluke as I knew both owners and both would have told me if they thought their dog carried choc.

Obviously I am not going to name names here. Its just a story really of woe ;-)

So I get on the case, and start scribbling down potential matings and racking my brain for which W bitches I had sold that wanted to mate their girl sometime anytime soon, so might be put that way for me to have a puppy from... Shiney had her next husband carved in stone, and I was like a dog with two tails!

My pedigree guru expressed a sense of caution. Looking wayyyy back it seemed unlikely with one, pretty much impossible with the other - but miracles happen! So I rang the first owner..... then the second..... and walked away sadder than a dog with No tail.... both knew of the litter I spoke of, and both knew that the breeder of it saw a brownish tinge to the blacks undercoat, making the pup look a 'tiny' bit brown in direct light, and therefore, without the stud dog owner knowing, had rather stupidly registered the pups as 'chocolate' rather than black, which is what they were!

Bah! Humbug! I was GUTTED! Could have meant so much to the chocolate gene pool but was just someone not knowing their arse from their elbow and that there are different SHADES of black, not just one!

Di

See less See more
#6 ·
I'm confused. Will the pups remain registered as choc when they are in fact black?

#8 ·
Can just imagine the excitment at 'chez wylanbriar' to read the info(how fab would that have been) .............bet you thought all your christmas's had come at once .

Can also see you jumping around stamping your feet and shaking your head after finding out about the wrong registration .................what a b***er Di :roll:

#11 ·
" I'm confused. Will the pups remain registered as choc when they are in fact black? "

I expect so. Its none of my business to push for a change. I wonder if they were SOLD as chocolate or as black when 8 weeks came? Who knows.... I expect at a week or so old when registered the breeder was convinced. Then by 8 weeks probably was sure they were black. I wouldn't think many people who really know or go about changing a registration. Met someone on the downs about 6 months ago - same story - they had bought the pup as a chocolate - and indeed next to the blacks they said it did look a 'bit' brownish (that mouse undercoat again) but realised as he grew he was just... black. I told them they could go back and get the registration amended, but they said 'why bother?' so .... there you go.... ;-(

Di

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.