Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to buy a printer asap, am looking at the HP Deskjet [all-in-one] £34.99 from Argos, is that too cheap. I only need it for basic printing [documents etc].

My old Lexmark has finally given up, plus the ink for it was very expensive.

What do you think has anyone got one.

Thanks

June

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
HP are good.

Bear in mind it will not have full ink cartridges - they will only be good for a few pages and you'll end up spending £60 on cartridges very soon.

To be fair, most companies now do that with ink and toner. The printer itself is now a disposable item.

Also check if cables are included ;-) At that price it won't be wireless.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LHR_Tim said:
If you can get to PCworld you can get wireless printers for same price.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/canon-pixma-mg3150-wireless-all-in-one-inkjet-printer-15604270-pdt.html
Available in white or black.

Kodak is generally noted as having cheaper consumables (i.e. ink)

But TBH, for £34 you won't go too far wrong.
I have checked USB is not included.
There is a wireless one for £49.99 maybe that would be better, is that straight forward setting up.

There is a PC World not to far, will check them out.

Off out to lunch now, thanks for your help.

June

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
I used to have a Kodak printer and found that although the cartridges were cheap they did not seem to last very long.

I have always had HP printers and all-in-ones (until I got the Kodak!) and found them to be very good and reliable.

Hope this helps.

·
Administrator
20,649 Posts
I used HP printers for years, right back to dot matrix printers using fanfold paper. I always found them reliable, but the last two ink jets had very poor paper handling, the page skewing so it printed at an angle on the page. At one time I had 7 pedigrees to produce but used up 12 sheets of photo paper producing them. My cannon was better but packed up after about 2 years and I now have an Epson which handles the paper fine but is only a few months old so it remains to be seen how it lasts.

Regards, John

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
The advantage of wireless is that you can put the printer where you want, rather than next to the PC. Cable will be a few quid extra anyway, so personally, I would go for wireless.

If you use Quidco, go via them and preorder.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
HP printers the ink is to expensive ive had them in the past and epsom i would go with kodak hero i have 5.1 ink is cheaper and quality is good .

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tim I just looked at Quidco as I have never heard of it, my only concern is, I need it now so may not be able to benefit from there discounts.

June

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nigel the Kodak Hero 5.1 is £99.99 :eek: , I am looking for cheapy one, or is that false economy?

June

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Hi June I have the HP deskjet 3050 wireless and its great I'm really pleased with it.

i use the Tesco own make ink cartridges and find they last ages.

It's a basic printer nothing fancy but reliable :D

x

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all of you, your input was greatly appreciated.

Because I needed printer asap I called in the little shop in the village on the way back from doggy walk, they had the Kodak Hero 3.1 at a reasonable price, and the guy was really helpful answering all my questions, plus if it was not what I want when I read the manual I can return it :D .

So now I have to cook dinner then try to fathom out how to get it up and running :? , maybe I will be on later for some help to get it all working.

You may think it is strange that I am having a struggle with changing, but it is atleast 14/15 years since I had the last one and my son-in law set it up for me then :( , so am just a tad worried that when I get back later I will be asking for help again :oops:

June

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
fiz said:
Thanks all of you, your input was greatly appreciated.

Because I needed printer asap I called in the little shop in the village on the way back from doggy walk, they had the Kodak Hero 3.1 at a reasonable price, and the guy was really helpful answering all my questions, plus if it was not what I want when I read the manual I can return it :D .

So now I have to cook dinner then try to fathom out how to get it up and running :? , maybe I will be on later for some help to get it all working.

You may think it is strange that I am having a struggle with changing, but it is atleast 14/15 years since I had the last one and my son-in law set it up for me then :( , so am just a tad worried that when I get back later I will be asking for help again :oops:

June
No help needed with Kodak June easy to set up :D

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Tim and Nigel,
I have managed to get the printer up and running on this computer, very pleased with it, tomorrow I will be trying to get it to work with the laptop wireless if I can.

At the moment have attached it with usb cable, so may have a problem with wireless just a bit tired to check that out now.

I appreciate knowing I can ask if need be :) .

June

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
When you run software on laptop it will ask for wired connection or wireless choose wireless then i think you choose printer it has detected will prompt you to add your security key i think or may just connect then all straight forward after that :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts