Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

We picked up our black boy Toby at 8 weeks old a couple of days ago. He's gone quite leggy in the last week and seems really unsteady at times.

Just wondering if other people's leggy little labs went through a wobbly stage or whether I should be worried?

I don't encourage him to jump up especially at us but occasionally he'll try to reach something high up and doesn't seem to have much trouble standing on his hind legs then. But he does fall over quite a bit. We have do have a tiled floor in the kitchen so I don't know if that is partly to blame.

I visited him at the breeders a lot and didn't notice him being wobbly there until earlier last week after he'd had a bit of a growth spurt.

He mainly falls over when climbing over small things like books or magazines. (I don't leave them on the floor he just pulls them down when he gets half a chance!)

He also bunny hops a bit but only when at full tilt. He doesn't seem to have any trouble getting up.

He's going to the vet for his first injection on Thursday so I can obviously ask their opinion then but Thursday seems a long time away and I keep looking at him and wondering.

I had a Great Dane pup diagnosed with Wobblers (at 4 months) when I was about 21 so I've always been a bit over anxious over leggy issues.

Would welcome any thoughts.

Thanks,

Paddon

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience with pups, I've only had 2 of my own. Both of mine went through a phase much as you describe above, so I'd say it's completely normal and try not to worry.

·
Registered
11,547 Posts
If its only when he's trying to climb over things or on slippy floors like tiles then I'd try not to worry and just tell your vet on Thursday. Perhaps you could take a little video of him doing it though on your mobile or something as sometimes its easier to show the vet than explain in words.

How about a photo of your little fellow we do love photos on here!

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
Cant remember about my past dogs :? but Bea & Lux were quite wobbly at that age especially Bea :? she was actually very funny at times with her wobbling over & crashing into things :oops:
she soon stabilised :wink:

?

·
0 Posts
The thing is they shoot up bone growth first and their muscles don't catch up until a bit later, so they tend to be rather uncoordinated, on and off for a good while.

I know most of my 8 week old pups have had a graze on their chin, where they have constantly tripped over and banged it. It's a bit like scabby knees on a child. :lol:

I wouldn't worry about Wobblers either, as that's a neck/spinal condition, which I've never heard of occurring in Labradors (not saying it doesn't but if it does, it must be exceedingly rare). It's much more a GD and Dobie thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies folks - that's a relief!

He's a smashing little chap. House trained already just a couple of wees when he asked but I wasn't quick enough. I now carry his lead in my pocket so I've got it to hand.

I think having gone through losing the Dane pup (even though it was a long time ago) it has made me ultra sensitive to anything to do with legs.

I will have a go at posting a pic but I haven't done it before so bear with me if it doesn't work.

Thanks again - I do feel a lot better now.

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Hi and welcome to LF, can`t really add to whats been said other than to suggest you put a non slip mat or similar on your tiled floor, you do have to take care of pups joints and slipping and sliding may put strain on them :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts