Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, Hoping you can provide some advice.

How can I transition the re-location of the crate from my bedroom beside my bed with me to downstairs alone at night?

This is Monday, and Sonny arrived on Saturday. Over the last two nights I've brought his crate upstairs and had it beside my bed, and I'd say it's worked pretty well and because he's been very tired he so has made no fuss and settled. I've had to settle him a little bit like cuddle and then put him in the crate though.

During the day; I've had the crate downstairs and in the position where it'll be kept.

Over the last two nights in general he has been fine... once he's settled and sleepy. Woke up twice which I chanced the opportunity to go potty and he did, not sure if he really needed it or it was just by chance that I took him.

Anyway, I'd like the crate to be kept full-time downstairs and for him to sleep in it at night but I'm not sure how to and when to go about this. I'm not sure if I should go a third night in my room or change it up somehow.

Should I go another night in my room? or Sleep with him downstairs? or Put him downstairs himself and let him learn? or What?

Thanks!

·
Registered
385 Posts
We had Homer downstairs from the start, but that meant I slept with one ear open and got up twice during the night and then at 6am to let him out. I did this for about 2 weeks and then only up once at about 3am for a week. I then got up a little later each time, until I could lie in until 6am. When put to bed he would cry for a few minutes then settle on his own, he soon got used to it and would settle without a fuss. From what others have said I think he was a very easy puppy to settle.

Sounds like you're doing the right thing. You could move him away from you in stages.

Would you be able to hear him if he was downstairs?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure if I would hear him or not to be honest; he isn't making all that much noise right now in my bedroom so I'm not sure.

If I'm in my room when he is sleeping there during the day. If he wakes up I can hear a whimper but it's not very loud only really because I'm concious of it and listening out for him.

Perhaps I could sleep down-stairs with him but I'd much prefer my own bed than a small couch lol!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts