Labradors Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok a while back i posted on walking all 3 dogs..lol..that i dont do and will not do in the future :)

anyway after thingking about the replys i got i have come to a very hard decsion well its a hard one for me..lol..
i want to train brandy my 6yr old not to pull on the lead i will be the only one walking her on teh lead as hubby takes all dogs together in car...

but im realling dreading it she is a monster on the lead pulls my arm off and i get so stressed out with her and just end up coming back home as it ws not a enjoyable walk at all :(:(

i have treid walking backwards when she pulls then getting her back by my side

stopped walking altogehter pulled her back and said heel

also i have had treats in my hand and everytime she heeled she got a treat nd beleive me she never got one..LOL...

anything else i can try? please dont say training class i can not afford these and having 4 kids cant leave them to loong..lol..

rosze is great on the lead i cant beleive how much she has come on since we got her :) but im scared if i walk rosze and brandy together rosze will start to take on brandys pulling??

look forward to any advice i can grab as this time im determined to stop this pulling :)

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also forgot to add when we aproach a road i tell her to wait and she slows down then sits till i say over then as soon as we are over the road its back to yanking my arm off..lol..so why is she great by the road but terrible everywere else..lol we bought her when she was 7-12mths old and had never been on a lead tillwe got her

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Hi clair,i have the same problem with pulling,dylan is terrible at the moment and some days i feel i have little control over him at all,he has been to training classes,has 2 certificates and 2 rosettes but i think he has forgotten he has them, but to be fair it is bitches on heat time and he just pulls me while following the trail,i wish you luck with your training and i'm sure you will get there one day,lynne + dylan,

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol lynne i know.. i do blame myself for it though as i have never really trained her..as mostly she runs free on beach.. OFF THE LEAD she is one excellent dog i cant fault her at all but as soon as her harness goes on its like i have a different dog i have tried the lead on collar but she chokes really bad with it so i have opted with the harness plus i have more control of her...just the pulling is sooooo bad :(:(:( all across my neck and arms the following day are in agony :(:( thats the only bad thing i can say about brandy really..lol..still love her to bits though :)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
HI
I seem to have lost the post I have just written so I will try again. Forgive me if it appears twice.
Have you tried a Halti or a gentle leader? I realise that some dogs will fight against them at first, but if you persevere, you could win with one of these.
There is similar version of these which a lady makes to order, but the name escapes me at the moment. I will put my thinking cap on, I had one for one of my older dogs a few years ago and it worked. She was fine generally but if we saw another dog and she wanted to play there was no holding her,and if you were across a road it was dangerous but I did have success with one of these collars. Good luck

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do you mean the halti for the face??? or the halti body harness as i have had the body harness but binned it last month after a walk if you call it a walk i was stroking her and when i looked theere was blood on my hand to my horror the halti harness had rubbed so much under her legs from the constant pulling so i bought a new harness that fits around her body differntly with a lot wider straps..
the face halti i have been looking at and wondering if it would work but not sure if she would take to it
how would it affect her mouth? her toungue is always hanging out..lol..ive looked at these quiete a few times but not bought im really not sure :? :?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
HI Claire
I mean the face one. You would have to persevere, because maybe she may not like it at first, perhaps try it round the garden to begin with.
But so many people have had great success with them. A friend of mine walks 4 weimaramers, with the help of these. There are a couple of different makes, but basically the idea is the same, It is the same priniciple as leading a horse.Good luck

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
megaloo :)

yes maybe i will have to buy one of these im holding back due to the cost because if she doesnt take to it its money wasted we are on a tight budget :? her harness cost me 15pound and hubby went mad on that..lol..

just wondering if there is another way ??

ill go price some haltis up next week and compare prices thanks megaloo :):):)

but if anyone has any other tips ill gladly read them :):)

G

·
As a family we have had a couple of labs that have been pullers, one in particular was my parents last lab who was incredibly strong and I am no weakling but he could still pull me!

I will probably get a serious telling off now, but we have always used choke chains and for a lead I use a pony rope as they don't hurt your hands if you do get pulled!

When I get my next lab I will be interested to try the Gentle Leader/Halti people are talking about though.

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
hi clair,
as someone who has quite bad back problems and a very strong 8 month old, walkies was becoming a night mare 8O so i got max a halti. i would recomend them to any one. it gives me a lot more control over him. at first he hated it with a vengence and tied himself in knots trying to get it off. it was also a battle of wits trying to get it on him. each time he played up i just put it on the table and walked away for 10 mins then went back and tried again. he would start again so i would walk away again. it finally sunk in that no halti meant no walkies 8O i have been using it for approx. 4 months now and as soon as he see's me pick it up he plonks his bum down and sticks his nose in the air ready for me to put it on :lol: i must admit the first one i had was the proper halti and he did manage to bite thru it. so went to www.doghaus.co.uk where they do the same thing but at half the price. hope this helps :)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hi Claire
Do you not have a friend witha Halti or a gentle leader lab size that would lte you try.?

Cozwaz
I know e all used check chains years ago, but I think they are frowned on now. But if you get a bad puller these can do so much damage to the dog
Sorry I think they are now a no no.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
I know what you mean Lynne - Shadow has got his obedience cert and was great at walking on the lead. However as sonn as the classes were over and he was in open spaces on the lead he would pull like a train. We tried a halti over the face and at first he hated it. It would take longer to put it on than the walk would take. Then Shadow would be walking along trying to 'paw' it off, quite comical to watch :lol: He now loves it, as it means walkies and has controlled his pulling to quite manageable levels. Definitely reccommended if you have a lab puller!

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Hi paul,yes dylan has got one too and he really hated at first as well then we got quite good on the lead so i would not use it as he was restricted excercise with his ocd but now his excercise has been extended i have been looking for it again and found it under his snoozzeee duvet in the car it was hanging up on his dog guard dyl decided it was his toy,so i havent decided if i will get a new one he's only bad because of these bitches on heat that are driving him loopy,but yes i do agree they are great for a puller,take care,lynne & dylan.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts