Labradors Forums banner

How to train garden behaviour!!

443 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  paulinebeth 
#1 ·
Need some advice, when ever I take Penny over to my parents, she goes to play in their garden. However she likes digging up all their plants, chewing the roots, and pulling branches off the bushes and generally trying to destroy their garden. Any suggestions for training her out of this??

I have tried catching her at it and distracting her, tried loud noises, saying no but all she does now is grabs what she can and then runs around garden barking at me in a "haha cant catch me and I dont care" manner!! Now I am letting her out with a training lead on so I can catch her, but she is getting so worked up about she seems to completly loose all sense of reason!

She is reasonably well trained at the rest of the time for a 1 year old, its just when she gets in these playful situations she completly looses all respect and training!!

Help please, I cant afford to keep replacing mum's plants!!
P and P
xxx

#3 ·
Is it just your Mums garden she does this in or does she od it in yours at home too?

I think staying out with her is a must and the longline a good idea. I would also give her something to do, what about taking a nice juicy bone for her to sit and chew or a kong, or you could hide kibble and turn it into a hunting game rather than a destrction project.

Oh and try to take her for her walk before you visit to take the hyper edge off too :)

#4 ·
Unfortunately I have a communal garden and my downstairs neighbour (who initially was so excited to have a dog in the block) turned nasty and tried to have us banned. She callled the dog wardens and reported me for excessive dog fouling! Which is not the case at all.. Penny rarely pooed in the garden, and if she did, it was in my section and picked up straight away by yours truly! Dog warden said garen was clear and there is no problem at all.

It turned out that this nasty neighbour was getting upset that Penny and I popping into the garden was disturbing her foxes. She also knew that Penny tried to eat the chicken bones and scraps she put out for them so I have to keep her on the lead at all times. She continues to put out inappropriate food for the foxes which is a danger to Penny, so when I do use our garden she is supervised all the time. (and we put up with nasty looks from evil neighbour!!)

Will try the distraction and kongs in mum's garden when we are allowed to exercise again. Thanks for advice
P and P
xxx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.