Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She has been in cars since she was a puppy, so it's not like she's not used to cars. I think she's anxious, and can't wait to get to the destination...which is normally somewhere exciting for her like a park.

She will whine most of the way there and before I got a crate for the car, she used to pace up and down (in the boot area) and winde herself up.

I have tried ignoring, shouting, telling her calmly. What can I try next?

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Waiting with baited breathe for some replies to this, Meg (9 years) is a nightmare in the car with her whining, to the point where I often leave her behind if we are going anywhere over 10 mins :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Is it like an excited whine do you think, in anticipation of getting to somewhere where good stuff is going to happen? If it is, maybe lots of short journeys here there and everywhere that end in nothing for her, other than just coming home again, might help??? Don't know! I live alone, so from day 1 Bracken came everywhere with me in the car, as I didn't want to leave her home alone more often than I had to. So, nipping out for a pint of milk in the car, she came too. I didn't do this intentionally, but I think it had the result of her learning that not all journeys ended in a walk or something exciting for her.

If it's more of an anxious whine, I wouldn't know how to tackle that - but am sure someone else will :)

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I agree with Mo.

I always took Rufus everywhere in the car when he was little. Sometimes we didn't go anywhere, just the school run. If every car journey ends with a great walk, they will whine with excitement.

The only thing you can do is ignore it so they get no reward. This will be really hard as I know it can be really annoying and stressful when you're trying to drive.

I would make sure they can't interfere with your driving, ignore the whining and take her on lots of jouneys where you don't actually end up anywhere.

Good luck.

Yvonne

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. I'm not sure what it is. A combination of anixious and excitment I think.

Keith - Very funny! :lol: :lol:

?

·
0 Posts
I'm with Mo....Take her out every day and go nowhere exciting, even if it's just round the block. Anticipation of excitement causes an adrenaline rush, which in turn causes whining/barking/pacing/panting.....Take the anticipation away and she'll be much more relaxed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts