Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's that time of year again when the christmas trees start going up. :santa:

Here are a few tips to keep your christmas tree a safe one for your labs.

- Cover your tree stand with a tree skirt to prevent your dog from drinking the water in the base. This liquid can make your dog sick.

- Have dog treats on hand to distract your dog away from the tree. The needles can easily get lodged in their throat, making it hard to swallow.

- Place decorations that contain mistletoe, poinsettias and holly only in high sections of the tree, where your dog will be unable to get the tempting leaves and berries. They can cause heartbeat and blood pressure to drop.

- Remove strings and ribbons from gifts that are left under the tree. These items may seem like toys to your labs, but can easily choke him or her.

- Avoid using tinsel, since your dog can choke on it. Also understand that some of the older tinsel contains lead.

- Remember not to use chocolate ornaments if there's a chance that your lab could pull them off. An ingredient called theobromine can have a toxic effect on dogs.

- Tape the electrical cords of your Christmas tree lights to the wall so your dog won't chew them.

Also:

Realise that lit candles may capture the attention of your dog. To avoid any accidents, leave your dog in the other room if you plan to light candles.

Keep wrapping paper out of reach since many dogs are tempted to chew on it. (especially our labs you know what gobblers they are)!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Me & Andea have already talked about this.

We have a lot of decorations that are quite low to the ground (Easily reachable for Kane! 8) )

Think we are going to have to be carefull what we do. Maybe get a little optic tree that we can sit on a table out of reach of the Kane meister!

Looking forward to our first christmas with Kane though. Already looking at pressies for him so he will have stuff to open when we do...... 8O

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
As we don't pick up our pup until after Christmas, I may put a couple of presents under the tree for him to open so he can have a late Christmas!

He's now 9 days old and doing well (although it still too early to tell which one of the boys will actually be ours!). :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
christmas trees

Thanks for the tips! My husband and I are curious to see how Max will act around a tree, and how long it takes him to try and destroy it. (I'm guessing about 1 hour.) If he treats it anything like the plants in the backyard, he will definitely try and pull the needles off. I guess I'm just going to have to cross my fingers and hope for the best!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, this is our first Christmas with 7 mth old Lucky, so wondering if we should just get a tree to sit on the credenser(sp). Although our 24 yr old daughter would be horrified at not having a proper tree!!!!! :p

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Christmas Trees

Thanks for the tips Julie.

We've made the decision not to put our tree up this year. It didn't go up last year either, but that's because we spent Christmas at Chris' parents.

We will have a few decorations put up out of Smudge's reach.

I've been looking for pressies too! I bought him a dog teddy bear today from M&S which was intended for babies. However, the great thing is that because it's designed for babies from birth, there is nothing on it that Smudge can swallow etc. Unfortunately, he started sniffing at the bag when we got home, and I gave in and gave it to him this evening - he wandered round for ages with it!

All the best,
Nicola.

·
Registered
66 Posts
we have to re-think our christmas this year, with our new addition, little millie!!
we aren't putting our decorations up till 24th december, but most of my decorations consist of christmas teddy bears that stand on the floor. im not worried they will harm millie, i just know she will take them off for a little walk, hide and destroy them, argggh, nightmare!!
although sasha still has an eye for the teddies too!!
thnx for the tips, some good one to bear in mind!

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi There,

I'm glad you're all finding these tips useful... it's better to be safe than sorry isn't it.

If your labs are anything like our Bradley, he will try and chew anything he's not supposed to! We haven't put any decorations up yet, but when we do, they will definately be out of the 'Bradley reach' zone ! lol. :D :animalreindeer:

G

·
0 Posts
Bit late, but never mind! In previous years I've had a tree with no problems but as this was Poppy's first Christmas in a home I wasn't sure what she would make of a tree indoors. A few weeks before Christmas we went and did a homecheck and the family had their tree. Well Poppy thought it was very interesting and kept wandering around their lounge, stopping at the tree and grabbing a bauble as she passed! So, with this in mind, this year I had a small tree and put it on one of the shelf units out of harms way :)

Here's Guinness looking ever so impressed with my tree decorating skills!!

I am pleased to report the tree is still standing!!

Wendy x

1 - 9 of 9 Posts