Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to use a halti when we go to busy places.
I know I have to introduce the halti slowly so she can get used to it but how long shall I leave it on indoors at a time so she can get used to it? And what do I do or say when she starts pawing at it and rubbing her face on the floor?

·
Registered
846 Posts
I used to leave it on rolo for 20mins at a time and just tried to keep him occupied when he wore it, but he still hates it and rubs at my legs when its on him, but they are fantastic bits of kit!

Good Luck x

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nealy said:
I used to leave it on rolo for 20mins at a time and just tried to keep him occupied when he wore it, but he still hates it and rubs at my legs when its on him, but they are fantastic bits of kit!

Good Luck x
When he starts rubbing his head on your legs what do you say? Do you tell him No or do you ignore? That's the bit I don't know what to do about.

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
I agree with Nealy. I use it on 2 of my dogs and they have both been wearing haltis for about 1-18 months and they still try to rub it off but I just ignore it. They are very handy but the ages of both the dogs I have got to start weaning them both off it and hope that I make the right descision.

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
Luna really only rubbed at her muzzle just before was about to take halti off - maybe I was just lucky!!!

I started off by putting it on and taking it off straight away for a while using a treat to get her to put her nose in the halti rather than pushing it onto her and releasing the treat while it was on. Then waiting to give her the treat once I'd taken it off. Then giving her the wait instruction with the promise of a treat whilst the halti rested on her nose. I made this on time longer and longer, practising intermittently over the length of a day.

Then the next day went through the steps again but quicker. Then I practised fastening and unfastening the halti with her waiting for the treat. Extending the time the halti was fastened. If she went to rub off the halti at this point I distracted her by asking her to shake a paw or do another trick to gain a treat and then wait while I removed halti for a treat. By the afternoon of 2nd day I would put Halti on and then run outside into garden with favourite football toy and we played with toy with Halti on. Removing it when playtime was over - did this a few times! Then attached lead, practised walking to heel for very short time before detaching lead and playing with favourite toy again - did this a few times!!

The next day we walked with Halti on. If she started to look like rubbing it off I'd distract her with a treat or speed up walking to a trot. I went to walk her somewhere with no other dogs and in grass field so could play with toy for a while-still with Halti on - before walking to heel again. I was desperate for her to see the Halti as a good thing!!

I used the Halti for about 2months consistently and then found that it had played it's role. Have only used it once since then - when we started walking again after having 2 months rest!!!!

NB: DO take Halti off if playing or walking off leash in woodland or near hedgerows cos they will get caught on something!!! And some dogs will learn to pull into a headcollar making their head and neck stressed so take care!

·
Registered
846 Posts
MissJ said:
When he starts rubbing his head on your legs what do you say? Do you tell him No or do you ignore? T
I stop and tell him no, then carry on each time he does it, also keep an eye on her the first few times, Rolo used to drag his nose on the floor making it red raw

1 - 6 of 6 Posts