Labradors Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rusti is now 8 months old and a very big lad. Up until now I have been lifting him in and out of the car boot (I have a hatchback), but on Sunday I damaged my back lifting him and am now suffering quite badly. I can't keep lifting him, he's far too heavy for me so any suggestions on what I should do?

I know you can get doggy ramps for the car - does anyone use one? The other alternative I guess is to let him jump in and out but I'm worried about him damaging himself as he's still so young.

What do you do with your youngsters?

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Is he tall enough to get his front paws onto the floor of the car?, if so try encouraging him to do that and then lift his rear end up, as your doing that he`ll hopefully move forward and get himself in that way.

Or you could try letting him jump into the rear passenger seat and then over into the boot.

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Nikki I have to say I get quite worried about this sort of thing especially the jumping out. I lift in and out, although as they get bigger I teach them to put their front feet on the ledge and then I lift the back end.

If you really can't lift I would try a ramp, as you will need to be careful with your other youngster (s) as well.

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
_Mary_ said:
Is he tall enough to get his front paws onto the floor of the car?, if so try encouraging him to do that and then lift his rear end up, as your doing that he`ll hopefully move forward and get himself in that way.

Or you could try letting him jump into the rear passenger seat and then over into the boot.
Thanks Mary, will try that. Unfortunately he can't get through from the rear seats into the boot as my car has big rear head rests in the way.

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ettinsmoor said:
Nikki I have to say I get quite worried about this sort of thing especially the jumping out. I lift in and out, although as they get bigger I teach them to put their front feet on the ledge and then I lift the back end.

If you really can't lift I would try a ramp, as you will need to be careful with your other youngster (s) as well.
Yes, it worries me too Jill. I'll have a go at teaching Rusti to put his front feet up and I'll try lifting his bum in and see how that works. The jumping out really worries me as even lifting the bum end, it must put alot of stress on his front legs and elbows.

Might be just as well for me to get a ramp as I have a dodgy disc in my back and I keep managing to damage it which leaves me laid up for days :evil:

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
nikki i know how your feeling, i've got a bulging disc in my lower back which keeps causing me issues.
Finn up until last month was still being lifted in due to his hatred of the car! I've now solved this and he'll now jump in and out. But for a while i used a plastic box which i carried round in the car, and i.d put it in front of the boot so he could use it as a step so the jump wasn't so big. You could try using something like that.

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Sam, my problem is a disc bulge too. I damaged it some years ago falling down esculators at Canary Wharf!

Thanks for the tip about the box, will give that a try.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
ouch! falling down escalators!

hope you find a way to help him in without crippling yourself

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi,

Lotti is getting too heavy for me to lift already (I also have to watch my back), and Ben is tri-pawd so really shouldn't be jumping in and out, so hubby is currently in the process of making a ramp for us. Alternatively I googled them and they started from £35 incl p&p.

Ruby

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Sorry to butt in this post but when would you say it was ok to let your adult dog (4 years old) jump in and out of your car?
Should i be letting him go in thorough the back seat or it it ok to let him jump in?

As hes a rescue we weren't given his hip score all we were told is that it was 'normal' for a lab. Im not sure if that infomation is relevant to the answer or not.

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Hi Kate

An adult dog should be fine to jump in and out of the car. It is really only dogs up to a year old (and maybe a little over if they are particularly immature) that you need to worry about.

Although, obviously if you have an adult dog who has problems, or is a little stiff some help may be required.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Thanks Jill :D
I just had a funny moment then and wad doubting myself. :?
I've seen those ramps before, i was going to invest in one when my 'little' boy gets older.
Apparently i spoil him enough already :roll:

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
A friend made a ramp from 2 bits of 3/4" ply, some offcuts of wood and some heavy hinges, it works an absolute treat. The wood hooks in behind the bumper and being quite thick ply, supports itself when it's out. You can then fold it up and stash it against the back seat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts