Labradors Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cooper is shaking and rubbing his head a lot, and really loving a good ear scratch. I've had a look in his ears to see if perhaps they were dirty or something, but can't really see anything. When we had our puppy class our teacher said to smell the ears to notice if perhaps they had infections, but all I smell is, well, dog ears!
I was wondering if I should try and clean his ears? What do I use? How do I do it?

?

·
0 Posts
If he hasn't got an obvious problem, then leave well alone. Cleaning out ears mucks up the natural flora balance, so sometimes causing a problem. However, as he is acting as if he has itchy ears, I'd first try putting a bit of Thornit* on his ear flaps for a few days, to kill off any Mites which maybe present and if he was still suffering after that, I'd see a vet, as something might be further down his ear canal than can be seen without an ear torch thingy (the name of which completely escapes me this morning :lol: ).

* Thornit is an old fashioned but effective remedy. It is sometimes called TEP (Thornit Ear Powder) and you can order it online. I think I got my last lot off Ebay :wink: .

?

·
0 Posts
Jules - I have some Thornit in the cupboard but have had it a good few years now. Does it go off ?
I don't think so, Chloe. As long as it's dry and not gone all clumpy, it should be ok to use.

?

·
0 Posts
That's the one Kiki. Brilliant stuff :D . You just put a tiny pinch on their inner ear flap and rub it around a bit, then job jobbed. Don't go pouring inside his ear canal though, as it might clog it up.

Thornit has been around for donkey's years, but it seems only us oldies or groomers know about it these days. No idea why. :?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately I presume it's down to people living away from home, i.e. not close to their old folks and therefore unable to benefit from their knowledge!

Thanks again for the advice, I've ordered some. Do I put a little bit on his ear flap every day for a few days or once and then leave for a few days?

?

·
0 Posts
Do I put a little bit on his ear flap every day for a few days or once and then leave for a few days?
I'd do it for about 3 days on the trot, then see how he goes. Also if he's sticking his foot down his ear to scratch, I'd put a bit in a sandwich bag, put his foot in it and flap it around a bit so it gets a dusting, as ear mites can end up on feet and then be transferred back to ears if you don't. :wink:

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
It probably went out of fashion when antibiotics became the choice treatment for everything. I'm finding lots of old treatments and methods coming back into use again. Cheaper to. :D

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
What a timely thread. I was going to post to ask about wax in a lab's ears (Phoebe)

Would Thornit help with that ?? :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
How spooky - Poppy has also suddenly started doing a lot of head shaking, so I've just started with Thornit for the first time. Hope it works!

?

·
0 Posts
gavnles said:
What a timely thread. I was going to post to ask about wax in a lab's ears (Phoebe)

If it's a brown, sticky wax then quite likely, as most brown stick wax is caused by ear mites (it's their poo :wink: ) .

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
_Jules_ said:
gavnles said:

If it's a brown, sticky wax then quite likely, as most brown stick wax is caused by ear mites (it's their poo :wink: ) .
Eeek, thank you 8O

·
Registered
171 Posts
When we first got Milo he had one sticky waxy ear so used baby wipes to clean the ear and Thornit after and it cleared it up nicely.
Not sure if it was mites or just a waxy ear but either way Thornit helped sort it out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts