Labradors Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5 month old redfox lab who’s current weight is 10kg. She is expected to weigh 22-25kg as an adult and wanted to ask the group their thoughts on how much per day at the moment

she is on Purina Beta and we are feeding around 350g per day based on roughly 5% of body weight

we have also been told that this is not the greatest food so any advice opinions welcome on both accounts

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
You will get very different advice about foods, as everyone who has a good experience with the food they use with their dogs, will recommend that brand. I feed raw, which my girls love, but have used Simpsons Premium from time to time as well, which is good value for the quality of ingredients.

·
Administrator
20,704 Posts
Mmm. I hate questions about food. You see I've never weighed the food I give my dogs, and really, have no idea what 350g of dog food looks like!

A large part of the problem is that dogs can have a very varied digestive system. My old Beth for example, what you fed her went straight in one end and back out the other, barely touching the sides on the way through! I used to feed her half as much again than I fed Lucy who was around at the same time! More up to date, Chloe, my pocket rocket always needed more than Amy, my giant economy size Labrador. It's all to do with how the body metabolises the food. Amy for example would need to toilet two to three times a day where Chloe only ever goes once!

I work strictly to the dog, feed by eye. If I think my dog is getting a bit slim I up the food slightly, or if getting a little podgy then I reduce it slightly. And really, there is no other way. it's so much dependent on the individual dog. Sorry if this is not a lot of help to you, but it's the way it is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts