Labradors Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Was just after some general advice on how much your puppies sleep. Max seems to be sleeping an awful lot and I was just wondering if that is normal for 18.5 weeks. His normal routine is:

8am Wake up
8.15 Eat
8.20- 8.30 Outside toilet, browse
9-10 sleep
10- 12 play, toilet 10 minute play in garden
12.30 lunch, folowed by toilet
1- 3 sleep
3- 4.30 awake, 10 min walk
4.30 eat
5- 7.15 lazy play, few toilet trips etc
7.15 onwards doesn't want to do anything but sleep
10pm last toilet trip

He basically doesn't want to know anyone after about 7.15, we will drag him out to go to the toilet every hour but he just goes out does what he needs to and then goes back to his crate to sleep. Also as an aside he poos about 4-5 times a day is the normal? (am i being ridiculous?- please be honest :? )

Although it is good for us in the mornings, we do miss him in the evenings and I'm just worried something mught be wrong. Any advice welcome.

Thanks in advance... Jen.. and snoozing Max

·
Registered
498 Posts
Jen

I sympathise, Brady really shuns our attention in the evenings too. He'll nod off between 7pm and 8pm and if you go near him (even just to cuddle) he generally moves somewhere else and collapses again. I can't blame him, I'd hate to be woken up from a deep slumber and great dreams like that!

My biggest problem with this is getting him out to do the toilet last thing at night. He really doesn't want to go outside, and sometimes when I lift him outside he just lies down on the path!! Saying that, it's a long time since he had a night time accident so it's probably me worrying over nothing again :wink:

Better go and see if I can move him now...

Rona

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol!!! I have same prob with Max will pick him up take him out but most nights he just curls up and puts his head on my shoe...lol!!! Normally coax him to go toilet eventually tho. He hasn't had accident at night for about 4-5 weeks but I think its just peace of mind... :lol:

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
My biggest problem with this is getting him out to do the toilet last thing at night. He really doesn't want to go outside, and sometimes when I lift him outside he just lies down on the path!!

Hi Rona,

Bradley has done this ever since he was a young pup! It's quite funny now, as when we finally get him up for his night time stop, once out and he's finished his business, we 'run' back to the front door of our motorhome to stop him from lying down outside and refusing to budge! :lol:

We have learnt how to conquer all the 'Bradley tricks' !

Hope all goes well with Brady,

Julie

·
Registered
498 Posts
He he he :lol: - funny how you have to learn really quickly how to stay one step ahead of your pup! Brady used to follow us everywhere dutifully, but now has to be put on the lead at the gate or else he's ready to do a "garden run" at any minute!

So, it sounds like Lazy Labs (even pups) are quite the norm then?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi Jen

Smudge goes into his sleep mode at around 10:30pm - he is quite active in the evenings but we are sure this is because we are out during the day and he of course wants our attention in the evening. He sleeps very well at night (in fact, I'm sure he wouldn't get out of bed if we didn't!) and sleeps well during the day (we think! He's always having a stretch when we come back for visits in the day!).

Sleep is very good for growing pups so hopefully everyone has put your mind at rest. Our Smudge still sleeps a lot (he's about 23 weeks now) but just at slightly different times.

All the best,
Nicola.

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Corbie's 14.5 weeks and still sleeps a lot during the day, although not as much as he did when he was say only 8 weeks old. Pups do sleep a lot.

He does sleep on and off during the day as I work from home and he will nod off when I can't play with him, but we do have training sessions and play sessions to keep the boredom at bay for him which again tires him out. He will also sleep well after his little walk. He's usually hyper in the evenings between 5.30 and 8.30pm.

Re the poops - Corbie usually does about 4-5 a day as well (usually one for each meal (3), one first thing in the morning and one on his walk). HTH :)

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hi

My boys are nearly 3 and I do recall them sleeping a lot when puppies. They still sleep a lot but I think thats because they have a big garden and are always active. They are funny though - if you wake them up in the morning too early - they have such exaggerated yawns! Honest! One doesn't really bark often but he more than makes up for it with the yawning sounds and shaking his head awake! Cracks me up everytime :lol:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone... glad to see Max is showing yet more normal puppy behaviour!!

Karen- SNAP... MAx goes for a poo at exactly the same times as Corbie...lol!!!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Amandajvv said:
they have such exaggerated yawns! Honest! One doesn't really bark often but he more than makes up for it with the yawning sounds and shaking his head awake! Cracks me up everytime :lol:
Smudge has a really cute yawn! He makes like a little squeaky noise and opens his mouth really wide! Just makes me go 'awwwww' every time!

All the best,
Nicola.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Scooby also does the 'creaky door' :lol:

He does loadsa poos!!!, normally 3 heaps in one sitting, if you get my drift :D

Scooby goes to sleep around 8.30pm and doesn't get up till 8.00am! I am lucky. He doesn't like being woken up for late night wee and if I do manage to get him up then he sleepily wanders out, wees just outside the door and sleepily goes back to his bed - I'm sure he is sleep-walking!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Although Harvey sleeps through the night without any problem my work means i am often up at 3:00am so I always open up his crate to let him outside in case he wants to go toilet. He tends to look me as if to say "at this time? .. you gotta be kidding mate!!!" :lol:

He does rouse himself eventually though, mainly I think because he's learned he gets a treat for going back into his crate!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts