Labradors Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really enjoying giving one meal a day raw to the kids here. They are loving it too! As a complete novice to this I thought I would enlist a bit of help with portion sizes. I know each dog is different but very generally...

Ok I am using either chicken wings or thigh and drumsticks.

Tom at 5 and a half months is getting 3 wings or one thigh and one drumstick.

Bondy at 4 and a half months is getting two wings or one thigh

Brogan at 10 weeks is getting one wing or one drumstick.

Is this about what you would feed? Obviously Brgan has 3 further meals of complete a day, Bondy and Tom 2 more.... in addition. But Bondy always hoovers his in one gulp and Tom takes quite a while.... would you say the above is enough?

Thanks
Di

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Just for you to compare, mine get six wing tips for a meal, the last two joints of the chicken wing.

I have never weighed raw food, just gone on an average amount per day, if they look leaner give them a bit more, if they look like they're putting a bit on, they get less.

One thing you might find interesting to compare is teething, mine never had problems really, Tau had one canine that refused to budge for ages, but they both started teething quite quickly and it seemed to be quite a short process. But obviously I've got no experience of pups on commercial dog food to compare against.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you feed them raw as puppies, Jo? How many tips would you give per meal when kidlets? rather than as adults?

I mean its hard going on body condition of mine. Bondy is a meercat, always is, always will be. He gives a new meaning to 'effortless size zero' and so you just can't judge his condition. He always looks frighteningly skinny to my showbred eye ;-) Tom is carrying a bit more substance, but is hooting up at an alarming rate so never can get a belly of any sort on him. Brogan is 100% show chunk. She looks like she will pop on just one wing somedays, then grows a bit and looks a little less huge again...?

Di

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
They've always been on raw, Indie got a bit of a mix of kibble to begin with, but once I decided to go down the BARF diet I just switched over. Their breeder raw fed her dogs in any case, so they'd already been given mince and chicken wings. Tau has never had anything else, the only time she gets dog food is if we've out and people ask if they can give them treats (at this point Indie is usually sat to heel beautifully, nudging and giving the pleading 'she starves me' look).

If you pop onto my dog website (just google tarimoor, it's the one without the art bit in) there's a puppy pack to download which has a chart of what I gave mine as pups.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats wonderful thank you!
Di

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jo, where on your site is the article? I am probably being thick but tried a few possibilites and no go so far...?

D

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Jo, but the only thing is, your pack says 'chicken wings' and doesn't specify... I was rather wondering, without being too precise, how much is 'some'... as such...

??

Di

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Just had to go back and look at the puppy pack, as it's ages since I read through it - basically mine have always had the same/similar amounts as they've grown up, so they got four chicken wings spread out through the day, dependent on what they had with it, they had one or two at a sitting.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Di, as Jo is saying feed to condition but, if it helps, use as a guide 2-3% of expected adult weight (or some say 10% of current weight) fed daily. As you're feeding only a proportion of their intake raw, give a third or a quarter of that weight.

Eg Kaya gets about 500-600g daily. So if I was feeding her 4 times she'd get 125g, roughly, at each meal. Which is about 1 chicken wing (ish)

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Blimey so with 3 wings for Tom plus two other meals of 150gms each thats a bit over the top then! Oh dear ;-( No wonder he struggles a bit with being solid sometimes still...

Thanks ladies
Di

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Silly question newbie to BARF question: What is the expected weight then for a male lab?

I'm concerned I'm maybe overfeeding a bit, but George still looks lean -- can feel ribs and has a waist.

If you go by the 10% of current weight, that's nearly 1.5 kg of food per day! Others seem to be feeding much less (500-750 per day).

I've been going with about 900'ish myself (somewhere in between). So I make up packs with about 250-300g of food: 2-3 wings and some liver/kidney or small leg/thigh plus a bit of organ meat. I'll also throw in a bit of cooked veg and a dollop of yoghurt.

Is that about right?

·
Registered
503 Posts
I held off feeding Paddy chicken thighs until he was about a year old. I had read somewhere :? that thigh bones were just a bit too big at puppy stage whereas wings and drumsticks were fine.

Paddy now has - as a rough guide - 5 wings in the evening and Sadie has 6 though raw beef and tripe are fed by eye!

Patrick

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
I never did get around to weighing food for my two, have always just fed by the amount the breeder advised, as she raw fed, and really went from there to feeding by eye as they grew.

The reason for always quoting chicken wings, is that they are (according to Ian Billinghurst) the correct proportion of meat, bones etc. Chicken thighs have quite a lot more meat than a wing, or half the back say.

Is it goats milk yoghurt you're using? There's not really any need to add this, although if it isn't doing any harm I wouldn't worry, it's just that some dogs can develop a lactose intolerance to cows milk and related products. Also, if you can blend your veggies raw, they are much more packed with vitamins and minerals than cooked. I blend and then freeze in portions, and lift a portion out before I take the girls for their morning walk. It's just on the verge of defrosted when I mix it in with their morning food.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Di

I was told by the lady I get my chicken carcasses from to feed the same amount as you would as complete food!

For tripe and mince I feed about a 1lb per dog, or half of that for a pup.

Sarah

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
It's cows milk yoghurt and so far, he seems OK with it. But I will watch out. His poo has been very firm, much better than on JWB! Got to say he does love his yoghurt.

With the veg, I've been giving him some butternut squash with some carrot. He'd gone through an upset tummy period a few weeks ago and read it is similar to pumpkin (well both are a squash after all). Though I did read you need to cook it, as it breaks down the starch. Got to say when I fed him some raw squash (I shred it in the food processor), lets just say massive explosion in the garden! 8O Do you just blitz some veg in the food processor? What sort of veggies? I did find out tonight George is not a fan of celery.

Part of the reason for the thighs (and legs) is Tesco has had some whole chicken promotions on lately. The other week they had whole ones for £2!! So I cut them up, freeze the breasts for us (they're much nicer than the ones you get pre-packaged) and the rest goes for George's meals.

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Ok, a couple of things I'd watch out for.

With the raw diet, you feed a balance of root, leaf and pulse vegetables. You can get too much of a good thing. I always vary the root vegetables I blend, and give different leaf and pulse variations too. Root vegetables are high in vitamin A I believe, so too much isn't that good for them. It's the same with liver, which has a high vitamin A content, and can cause a tummy upset. If you blend veggies together, they can't distinguish and will eat it if it has something they like in there.

Supermarket chicken, hmmm. Now, I am cynical because I really don't like supermarkets, but if you are going to be feeding your dog raw food, you need to consider where the supply comes from, and how many additives are in there. The worst place to buy meat for human consumption has to be a supermarket, because of all the extras they pump in there. So why would you want to give a dog that? Personally, I avoid them, there are better and cheaper suppliers, if you dig around a little. Obviously you have to take this into context with how many additives a dog would get from a commercially prepared food, but if you enquire locally, you will probably find a butcher who needs to dispose of the boney element of chicken and lamb, and will willingly sell it cheaply to you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts