Labradors Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our black lab Jake is 9 months old now. I took him to the vet today to have him weighed for his next wormer tablet and he weighed just under 25kg. They said he was a little overweight but sometimes he goes out 4 times a day and always at least twice for a good run and walks etc and our son keeps him on the move. He does not have titbits and we have his food at his age and do not overdo treats in fact some days he has none. Anyway the vet said he wouldnt grow much more yet thought black labs grew until 18months??????? My husband thinks we have brought a shorty dog!!!!!!!!! Does he appear overweight as we think he is still growing??? Thanks, Lisa

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Oh another vet that says labs are over weight.

Labs come in all shapes and sizes so weighing as little 20kgs and some weighing 35 kgs and they are normal for the shape and build.

He;s still growing and could get heavier.

My last lab always hoovered between 28-30 kgs and i could feel her ribss easily...
there is a thread on here about lab weights and the differ greatly.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
My Fidgit weighs in at on average 18kgs and she is four years old.

She is very small (but perfectly formed) for a lab but more importantly she is healthy and happy - what more could you ask for?? :p

I think vets steroetype all labs as being overweight. If you are happy with your lab then I think your opinion is the one that counts.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Buddy is only 7 months and 25 kilos and he is not overweight (the vet agrees!). They really do come in all shapes and sizes - which we really didn't realise before we got Buddy but now I'm fascinated by it and keep comparing all the different shapes and looks.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Rufus didn't stop growing until about 18mths - 2 yrs. At nine months he's not fully grown. But as you'll see on numerous threads. Labs come in all shapes and sizes.

Yvonne

1 - 5 of 5 Posts