Labradors Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have read reports that you shouldn't exercise a puppy for more than 1 minute for every week of its life, i.e. for a 3 month old puppy (12 weeks) it should have no more than 15 minutes of exercise at a time. 8O

This amount of time seems very low to me, as we take Bradley out for regular exercise, more than 15 minutes at any one time.

Anyone have any comments on this?

How much exercise do you give your puppy?

G

·
0 Posts
Hi i have a 11 week old yeelow lab and i walk him twice a day is that too much??? :?

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi i have a 11 week old yeelow lab and i walk him twice a day is that too much???

Hi Milo,

I don't think twice a day is too much, no, i think they definately need to burn of some of the energy they have! lol.

Personally, i think as long as they don't do too much walking on hard surfaces, i.e. concrete, and avoid jumping exercises on their growing joints then a good play, walk or run around is just what they need. :)

We take our Brad out up to 6 times a day now, he loves his water and pees alot! lol :D

Has you pup been swimming yet?

·
Registered
241 Posts
We have been taking Kane for short walks as recommended & he seems to be itching to go further. His energy levels seem to be increasing all the time & he now doesn't seem satisfied with the walk we do now.

We have decided that we are going to take him a bit further a field today.

I have read reports that you shouldn't exercise a puppy for more than 1 minute for every week of its life, i.e. for a 3 month old puppy (12 weeks) it should have no more than 15 minutes of exercise at a time.
That was what I heard. I think as the walks we do are on grass with plenty of chances for a little rest every now & then (seems for us, rather than Kane! 8) ) that it is not excessive.

Maybe I am wrong but Kane seems to enjoy it & looks really dejected if we head back early.

Has you pup been swimming yet?
We are going to Clumber today so will see how he takes to the water, if he wants to 8O

Am taking digital camera so dependant on rain may have pix later!! :p

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We have been taking Kane for short walks as recommended & he seems to be itching to go further. His energy levels seem to be increasing all the time & he now doesn't seem satisfied with the walk we do now.
We have found the same with Bradley too, if sometimes when we walk him, we think, right thats enough exercise - the look on Brads face says it all!! He wants moooooorrrrreeeee!!! Sometimes, he refuses to come back indoors..lol. (Although now we have trained him 'in' and he usually gets a treat :p )

Have fun in the water...im sure Kane will love it!

Wheres Clumber btw?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
How much exercise?

Hi all

Next week, Smudge is having his final injections (at 10 weeks which suprised me, though the vet said they had now brought them forward from 12 weeks).

I am so looking forward to taking him out for walks and have been very interested by this thread. Do you think we should perhaps just try little walks and see if that is enough for him? Like I've read, it seems a lot of your labs are keen to stay out for as long as possible! Smudge is very active and to be honest, I am hoping that a decent walk will tire him out! I know, I know, Lab puppies never get tired right?! lol!

All the best,
Nicola.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Firstly, it is very important not to over exercise. Their bones are soft and developing and it is so important not to put any extra strain on their joints. Actually, at this age they don’t really need exercise as such, pottering around the house and garden is quite enough, however, we need to get them used to the big wide world so we take them out for walks. As a general rule about 5 minutes per month of age is enough, so for your pup, 10 – 15 minutes. You can do this several times a day as long as there is plenty of time to recover between going out – pups sleep a lot anyway. Much more important is mental stimulation (just as tiring if not more so than physical exercise), taking him out to different places so he gets used to different smells, noises etc. let him potter about, sit on a bench with him and let him watch the world go by. It’s not too soon to incorporate a little training as well.
I am hoping that a decent walk will tire him out!
Please don’t do this, if you exercise him to the point where he is tired out, you will be putting too much strain on this joints.
If you stick to the 5 minutes per month of age rule, by the time he is a year he will be able to take as much exercise as you wish to give him
HTH

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi,

This thread is really interesting. We take Sally (4 months and 2 weeks old) out to the park where we stay for about half an hour to 3/4 hr while she sniffs around and jumps. I also take her on a 15 min walk to our daughter's school, she sits down outside to wait and then we walk her back home. I am worried now because she does enjoy as we all do as a family.

Can this lead to hip problems, I know that labs are prone to this.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can this lead to hip problems, I know that labs are prone to this.
Hi There munchgg, :)

It sounds like Sally is loving her time at the park, and i'm sure you're not doing any major damage. Having said that, seeing as she is still fairly young i would try to avoid letting her jump too much, as i know the impact can be quite damaging to their joints. I think as long as you try and stick to the 5 minute per 1 month rule, where and whenever you can, walk on soft land i.e. grass, and keep their walks to a minimum when they are young, they will get all the exercise they need. :wink:

Have fun at the park, i know how much we enjoy our time with our puppy, especially when they are so young as they are always learning new things, and are usually very entertaining whilst doing so! :D

Bye for now

Bradleysmum

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
lablover said:
As a general rule about 5 minutes per month of age is enough, so for your pup, 10 – 15 minutes. You can do this several times a day as long as there is plenty of time to recover between going out – pups sleep a lot anyway. Much more important is mental stimulation
Hi there

Many thanks for the great advice - we shall take that on board, it's really helpful.

Now we have blocked off the side of the garden, he is able to go out without his lead and loves walking around and 'sniffing' at his leisure!

Thanks again,
Nicola.

·
Registered
353 Posts
My little one (11 weeks) doesn't go for formal walks yet but comes out with me a few times a day when I have to see to the horses and he finds lots of interesting things to bring back into the house.

I know they aren't meant to jump about, but it is difficult to stop him when he thinks that he is a springer spaniel!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts