Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
I have followed the 'five minutes per month of age' guideline. So Tatze now gets 45 minutes.

We usually do it in one walk at mid day, but if we have to go out, she gets 30 minutes before we leave then 20 minutes when we get back. We are very lucky round here as there are dozens of different reservoirs, woods and nature reserves to choose from within a short car ride.

I can't wait 'till she's one and we can go for long walks. I'm planning them already!

:)

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Boys get a walk in the morning (by me) for about 45 minutes before work (bit longer when it is nice in summer or nice weekend days.)

In nicer weather (aka spring/summer) I will also try and do anther evening walk as well.

In between they have WOOF smack down dog wrestling with each other 8O

·
Registered
716 Posts
Got to admit I go a bit over the five minute rule . Bruce is 9 months and gets about a hour a day . 15 mins on the morning about 6.30 before my husband goes to work then about 40 mins on the afternoon . It works out to be 2.5 mile a day .

Claire x

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Mac gets 30-45 minutes in the morning, 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours late afternoon/early evening. Weekends we try to do a good long walk with him one day, usually about 8 miles or so.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
It varies to be honest depending on what we're up to. I try to give them a minimum of an hour, usually over one walk. Sometimes they get less, more often they get more.
We enjoy hiking and slot longer ones in every so often.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
My two get the minimum of an hour, sometimes over one walk,sometimes over two. Often they get much longer with swimming included.

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
My two have one walk a day usually around 1hr sometime in the morning, but can be more or less depending how much time and energy I have.

They never pester for anything more than this, but then they don't know any different! They have access all day to a garden and paddock but don't tend to go out unless to toilet or if we are outside.

I have learnt that this amount of exercise, which is 90% off-lead, is enough for them even though they are both from 'working' lines. In fact when I take Bella to our 30 mins agility 1-2-1 sessions when she has had a walk in the morning she as definitely run out of energy by the end (and so have I !)

Chloe

·
Registered
478 Posts
Our two get 2-3 walks a day (on lead) that are usually anywhere from 10-15 minutes. Usually these are just round the block, to the shops, into our little town centre etc. we use those walks to practice heel work and sitting at the curb.

We have an off lead walk every day too, but depending on how long we go for depends on how short the on lead walks are. If we're doing the 3 15 minute walks, a 10-15 minute off lead walk is about the most we do, but we can go off lead for anywhere upto 30-40 minutes and then shorten the on lead walks to just once round the block which is only about 5 minutes :)

I try and stick loosely to the 5 mins per month of their age guideline, but I'm not totally rigid with it! If we're at the beach, I'm happy for them to play off lead for an hour or maybe slightly more, but then I just shorten the on lead walks so they're still getting routine and practice with those.

It's all about being sensible I suppose :) just like at home if they're both getting overtired and don't want to stop, I'll crate them both and let them have a sleep for 30-45 mins (or longer if they've settled). We're into a fairly good routine with them both now though!

We get up at 5:30, have a walk round the block, have breakfast, then they play for about 30-45 minutes then sleep till about 3-4pm. When they wake up we have another walk but usually further afield or to the shops and back and the off lead walk happens usually at that time, we come home, they play a bit more (usually this is the point they may play a bit too much and need crating to settle down), my hubby gets home at 6, so they get their tea around 6:30-7pm, play a bit more, then we go for another walk then come home, do some training, then they settle for the night!

Weekends are much more flexible and we usually have a longer off lead walk in the morning at the park, the beach, or visit family and go somewhere near them like the forest, then they have a good sleep, do a bit of training, play together then they might get a 20 minute walk in the evening together.

We try and be sensible with everything :)

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
Not that much at the moment. With the dark mornings it is a trudge around the streets for about 30 minutes (1.5 miles?) and occasionally a trip around the block at night, though she is happy to go in the garden if we don't walk. She doesn't particularly like being out in the dark as she is quite jumpy so I don't see the point in going out just for the sake of it.

At weekends we have a good one hour walk each day, sometimes longer.

When the mornings and evenings are lighter there will be a better, off lead walk in a morning, sometimes another one at night.

We do flyball training on Thursday evenings and agility on Sunday afternoons (apart from January when we do group walks on Sundays).

Coco doesn't demand to go out, she's a couch potato and will happily settle down and snooze all day.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
It varies depending on shifts, the weather etc etc......

But somewhere between 1 and 2 hours daily, a mix of on lead, off lead, obedience, hoolying around and swimming, although mad Phoebe is a dry bob.

The flippin weather we have had has left everywhere really, really sodden so our 3 are taking advantage of this to practice walking nicely to heel on the lead 8) they could scarcely be happier about this :wink:

Les has just started working back in the town where we live so we are using this as a positive experience for the doggies. They get an extra on lead walk (boo) but get a positive reward at the end ( meeting Les from work). Then we all wander home together, except tonight cos it is pouring and I'm not going out in that :wink:

Ps Jazz would like me to point out in the interest of accuracy that she and Phoebe walk well on the lead, the spaniel is the problem :evil:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Burt generally gets 40mins in the morning then 45-1 hour in the afternoon, or a 20 min rugby ball play. He trains with me as well, so currently runs 12-15 miles a week with me spread out over 3 days a week. It will be going up the more we train, but he loved running with me, when we do a long run thats all he does that day :). Burt is 18months old

·
Registered
5 Posts
Daisy is 13 months and get's 2-3 walks a day each around an hour, less if she goes swimming in the river, tend to keep her to a routine of off-lead in the fields in the morning with recall and by roads in the evening as she's learning road safety. On weekends my uncle takes her out with his 11 year old lab who puts her through her paces!

Typical girl though doesn't seem to want to go out much in the rain in case she get's her hair wet :p

·
Registered
176 Posts
My husband takes Thor out at 6:30 for 20 mins, then he goes off to work. Thor and I walk my daughter to school it's only 5 minutes away but after sniffing every single item on the ground there and back it takes around 30 mins. If I have small stuff to get from bakers or butchers again only 5 mins away Thor will come along too. My daughter goes back to school after lunch, we then walk with our "pack" which involves a fair bit of hoolying and swimming for 1 hour ish. Thor sleeps the entire afternoon away pretty much and then has another 20 min wonder round the park at 7ish. He'll go for his last pee in the garden around 11pm and sleep all night. In total I'd say he's out and about for over 2 hrs a day.
Thor goes pretty much everywhere with me, we potter about doing stuff, gardening,coffee with the neighbour or poping into the local shops . He's quite well known around here they've all seen him grow up..

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Today mine went out in the morning for half an hour, part on lead, part off.
I took Pippa out seperatly for some gundog training (vids to follow on seperate thread) for an hour.
I then came back and took Pippa and Molly (JRT) out for an hours part off lead, part on, on a farm track and a bit of light woodland - lots of scents.

Normal day would be half an hour to an hour part off lead, part on lead walk in the morning (length/destination depends on what I feel like). Then another 30/40 mins, part off lead, part on lead in the evening.

I do go over the 5 minute guide with my little 9 month old JRT, but I don't think it's so strict with smaller breeds.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
It's very variable. At home they get 15-20mins road walk in the morning, then a 45 min mix of road and off lead in the evening, I happily let them off lead in the dark at home. At uni Digs gets a 30-45 min road walk at the moment as it's dark by the time I'm home, when it's light it changes to a mix of on and off lead for 30-45mins.

At weekends it's either a long mostly offlead walk for 1-2 hrs with or without swimming, a full days beating which is a mix of on and offlead and a lunchtime break or if it's a v busy weekend for us the same as a weekday.

Interspersed in this are training sessions and walks to town etc or with other doggy friends.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I take my dogs out about an hour each day. Typically 45 minutes off lead in the bush chasing after any fowl or rabbit scent they pick up. Then its about 15 minute walk on lead. Usually one day its an hour walk on lead.

·
Registered
921 Posts
My two get about 45 mins to an hour, usually in the morning, about half of which is off lead. Sometimes hoolying about with doggie mates, other times searching for lost balls behind the local golf course. :D

·
Registered
772 Posts
Busby gets at least an hour a day. Most days nearly 2 hours.

If both me and the wife are at work he will get a 30min walk first thing in the morning and then an hour with the dog walker around midday

If i'm off then he will get between 1.5hrs - 2hr walk with me in the morning over the fields where we meet with other walkers I know and he gets to have a play.

If i'm at work and my wife is off then he will get a 45min walk mid morning and a 30mins walk when i get in from work.

Even with this exercise we get told he is on the podgy side.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts