Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oscar has just been to the vets due to an ear infection, I'm now a lot poorer, but hopefully he will feel a lot better.

Anyway, I had to weigh him, and he weighed in at 9 months old and 1 day...67lbs or 30.45 kilos. The vet said he was a great weight (despite the fact that you can see his ribs) and told me not to worry about it, because he will soon be overweight 8O !!

Just wondered how much your labs weighed, at what age?

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
At 9mths basil was around 27kg give or take a few hundred grammes.
Now at 3yrs he is a steady 30kg.

Vets always think labs are overweight....and if they're not today then they will be soon :roll:

A

·
0 Posts
Rueben was last weighed at 6 months (about 3 weeks ago) and weighed 22 kilos. The vet seemed to think that was ok and made no comment about him being under/over weight.

Anita & Rueben
xXx

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Diesel is 4 years old and weighs in at 31KG. Hes tall for a lab. :D
He still looks skinny but hes fairly solid

Sounds like Oscar is going to be a big boy when hes older and theres nothing wrong with that:D

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Mambo is 26k and Skits 25k. When Mambos weight went up to 31k I had to reduce it as she has HD!! They are both quite small and trim!!

Marianne

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Fidgit is nearly 4 years old and weighs in at a hefty 19kg :lol:

She was the runt of the litter and has always been on the small side for a lab.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oscar is tall..taller than the other labs he hangs around with, and they're fully grown. I'm wondering if he will get any taller now at 9 months old. When he pulls on the lead, I sure know about it!! Luckily I don't walk him on the lead very much :) He really looks "ribby" though, but the vet says this is good, so hey ho...I won't worry too much lol!

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Jomel said:
The vet said he was a great weight (despite the fact that you can see his ribs) and told me not to worry about it, because he will soon be overweight 8O !!
And HOW exactly does he arrive at that conclusion? 8O

If you can see a Labs ribs, then it's a pretty good bet it is underweight.

Clover (3.5) and Hope (2) hover between 31 and 32 kg

Hally (6.5) is a bit on the portly side atm at 35kg :oops:

Moz (10 months) is 35kg

Bronte (9.5 months) - aka psycho midget is 25kg (she really IS a midget despite being the daughter of Hally and the half sister of Hope)

Vets have an obsession with Labs weight :twisted: I can remember the NOT so twiggy like vet nurse telling me Hope was overweight - and as anyone who knows her will confirm, nothing could be further from the truth 8O

·
Registered
117 Posts
At 8 1/2 months Logan is 22kg and Charlie 19kg, my 2 are all legs, but have been a little worried about being able to see their ribs!

But they are being fed plenty, by the looks of this it can vary quite alot!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
ruby is 21kg and is 17 months old. she is a bit on the titchy side though and was the smallest in the litter :wink:

jan and rubes the midget xx

?

·
0 Posts
I have often just been able to see the ribs on mine while they were still growing, especially after a spurt but they soon padded out again once they had stopped growing.

There are so many different shape, height and type Labs, it is so difficult to compare their weights. I mean Mojo is 5 years old and is lean but covered at 26.5kgs, yet for a bigger built or taller dog this would make them emaciated and on a smaller, finer dog, they would be overweight.

You can only go by what YOUR dog looks like. If you can clearly see ribs (and I don't mean when they are stretched out or running), then it is preferable to put a little more weight on them but if you can't easily (not having to dig the fingers in) feel the ribs, then they are overweight. You can adjust their food rations and exercise accordingly after that.

I personally would MUCH rather see a rib or two than see a dog rolling in fat, as long as that dog was fit and active. After all there are many breeds which you can nearly always see ribs on (Greyhounds, Setters and the likes) and they are not underweight, it is just acceptable to see them this way, whereas Labs tend to have more of a covering. :wink:

Oh and just because the vet thinks he will soon be overweight, means nothing at all. I was told Mojo would get fat after her spay because ALL Labs get fat anyway and spaying them increases this. Well 4 years on and she weighs less now than she did when she went in for the Op......So take no notice, just keep an eye on his figure and adjust his food accordingly. :wink:

·
Premium Member
15,716 Posts
I have 2 chunky monkeys

Charlie at nearly 4 was weighed on Tuesday at his check up and he's 42kg
Duds at 9.5 months hasn't been weighed for a while but was 36kg when he was and I don't think he's altered much.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Lottie is between 23 and 24kg and is 15 months. Another smallest in the litter. Slim and ikkle! :)

Barbara

1 - 20 of 81 Posts