Labradors Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had our Cally for just 8 days and we've successfully started to train her to respond to commands. She will sit on command, and at the moment we're teaching her to stay.

The only query I have is the amount of times she urinates during the day. She had her 8wk vaccinations yesterday (we got her at 7 weeks) and I asked the vet the same question, who replied "6-8 times a day on average".

Now, its 8.30am and already she's urinated 6 times since we've been up with her. I had playtime with her outside for a good 30mins, urinated briefly once then when she came back in she urinated twice in quick succession.

Do this frequency sound normal?

I can't wait for our first dry night and for her to be fully housetrained!!!

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

·
Administrator
21,513 Posts
Perfectly normal. Look at it like this. In her eyes why should she not go? like a human baby she has simply no idea that there is any reason at all for not going any time she feels like it just wherever she happens to be at the time. We are the ones making artificial rules, go here, don't go there, not the pup. I think your vet was simply pulling a number out of the air with no idea at all about the real world. Yes, that might be OK for an adult, but not for a baby.

Regards, John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JohnW said:
Perfectly normal. Look at it like this. In her eyes why should she not go? like a human baby she has simply no idea that there is any reason at all for not going any time she feels like it just wherever she happens to be at the time. We are the ones making artificial rules, go here, don't go there, not the pup. I think your vet was simply pulling a number out of the air with no idea at all about the real world. Yes, that might be OK for an adult, but not for a baby.

Regards, John
Thanks John, comforting to know.

G

·
Fantastic reply from John as always!

Rueben goes more than 6-8 times a day now, and he's 7 months!! Can't really recall how many times a day he went as a puppy but it was definitely a LOT!!

Anita & Rueben
xXx

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
As John says thats perfectly normal. I've never really counted but pups can do a tremendous amount of wees in a day :wink:

·
Administrator
21,513 Posts
Thing is, a young puppy sees no reason to wait for a full bladder, if there is anything in there it might as well come out! And because of that, the muscles controlling the bladder do not initially have that much control. It is by attempting to take control that the muscles start to work and the pup achieves bladder control. And several things start to cause this to happen.

Firstly safety. The natural instinct not to foul the nest, but mostly, not to leave a scent to attract predators to the nest. This is the reason why dog crates are so useful in toilet training.

And secondly, particularly with dogs, to control the bladder so the urine can be controlled for use in scent marking. The marking of territory but also to attract a female.

Actually, urine is an interesting subject. Almost as interesting as poo! But only a dog person understands that. :lol:

Regards, John

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Man, it seems like thousands doesn't it!!!!! :lol: Wicca was a peeing machine! Probably on average it worked out about once an hour. Fun times. :lol:

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
The only time to worry about frequency is when you see a red tinge to the urine and an 'urgency' to go, squatting without actually peeing or only a red dribble. These are indicators of a urinary tract infection which can occur often in females. :wink: A subject I am only too familiar with sadly :roll:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts