Labradors Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I start, I do mean 'devil dog' in the most affectionate terms :D :D

Every evening Poppy, our 10 week old girl turns into what my husband terms 'the devil dog'. She races around and snaps and tries to bite and insists on jumping up on the sofa, trying to bite our wrists when we put her back on the ground or on her cushion. She growls, barks, jumps up, scratches....the works!

I understand that this could be considered fairly normal....but how long does it last? Will she grow out of it or will it always be a feature of evening life?

We have started keeping some special toys back and great chewy things for her to have when she starts to get like this and they do help focus some of her energies. Any other wise ideas would be enormously appreciated!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
In our house it is called the witching hour although in reality it is usually between 5-15 minutes! I have no idea how long it will last though - sorry :D

G

·
It sort of just fades out. I can't really say when it stops, it just does over time.

I "think" most of mine have stopped having their mad half hour by about 6 months old, although they still have bum tucking moments well into adulthood. :lol:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
It has morphed into "come play with me mum, look! here! I brought my ball and everything! Please come and play! <bounce bounce> I wannna play". :D :D

Who could resist :lol:

·
Registered
248 Posts
OMG I know exactly what you mean!

Lola has hers between 8-9pm. I think we could set our clocks by it! We do the same as you - plenty of chewy toys and a nice filled Kong - and just weather the storm!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Dolly used to go mad around 9pm everynight and do bum tucks, but it faded away around 6months. She still does the bum tucks in the house,buts that only once in a while. she nearly always does a bum tuck when we are out just after she has had a poo!

·
Registered
501 Posts
We thought we had to say goodbye to watching telly in the evenings forever when we got Buddy he was such a loon. He calmed down in the evenings around 20 weeks I think and it definitely helped to hold back toys and chews to use when he enters the devil hour like you do now.
We often did a few minutes of training to re-focus his mind when he was going a bit nuts, that really helped to calm him down, too. (that tip came from someone on this forum, I can't claim it for myself!).

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
:lol: I remember 'mad minutes' very well!

Ruby calmed down as soon as we were able to get out on regular walks. I used to give her an empty plastic bottle (milk or water) which used to keep her attention and saved my ankles :lol:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Eddie used to do this when he was tired too, like a tired, ratty toddler!! He's much better now, though those mad half hours were fun!!

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
When we first got Skylar these mad minutes were a nightmare, but funny at the same time. We too didn't see much tv as it usually happened between 8pm and 9pm of an evening.
Now we have Elphie and her mad moments are dealt with by Skylar who takes the full brunt of it! :eek: I think you just have to let them get on with it really, although I have read on here in earlier posts that some people have a Kong ready for such moments so that the puppy is focused on something else. Worth a try. :D :D

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
My 2 (supposedly grown-ups) do this at least twicw a day!! Early morning when I have my first cuppa and at odd times through the day!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Oh dear I must tell Tarka he should have grown out of his 'OK it's 7.30pm, time for me to annoy mum just as she wants to sit down and relax' hour by now! He's nearly 2 8O

G

·
Ruby seems to have stopped doing the regular evening one (she's 8 months now), but still has her mad moments during the day when she's a bit over-tired. She still bum-tucks like mad on her walks, though, which is highly amusing.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
To see my 2 bum-tucking together is hilarious!! They go round and round in circles away from each other!! Bit like a mad dance really :lol:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you for all the great replies! I shall take all your tips and try to make it as painless as possible for the next d=few months until she (hopefully) calms down! It's great to know I'm not alone in this!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts