Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When does a puppy lose it puppy status?

Is it when they get to a year?

I want Winnie to be a puppy forever... But i know sooner or later i can no long class him as one!! :(

I know Winnie might act like one forever but does he stop being a pup when hes fully grown at 18 months? xx

?

·
0 Posts
Awwwww. I don't know. My GDBA pups were still wearing a "Puppy in Training" jacket up until they left me at 14 months old. People did used to comment on them being rather BIG puppies though :lol: .

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its strange isnt it!! i wonder if there isnt an time that they change!!
I was just wondering... but i guess its one of those questions that cant be answered!! :lol:

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
:lol: :lol: in numeric terms, they are puppies until 12 months - in real terms, some are pups for a very short time, whereas Clover is now 3½ and shows no signs of growing up :roll:

·
Registered
757 Posts
Ahh my baby is one next week and I don't want to think of her as non-puppy, she'll always be my puppy dog - though she's probably bigger than me now!!!!! he he :wink:

·
Administrator
21,006 Posts
What do you call a puppy? In show at a year old it becomes a Yearling, in gundog work in some clubs it is a puppy until 2 years but in other clubs it is finished in puppy on the second January the first. (Think about that one, some pups will be in pup for almost 2 years but some will be out at as young as 1 day over a year old!!) Physically a puppy will be pretty near full size at one year old. Then you get dogs like my Mandy who were born grown up, and dogs like my Beth who live a long life and still manage to die a puppy! :)

So it's a bit like a piece of string!

Regards, John

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
My Sammy was 14 and still behaved like a puppy right up to the day she went. Bless her. :D

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I heard someone saying the other day that labs take 3 years to grow out of their puppy ways......so by that theory my 2 year old Bailey is still a puppy......I'm happy with that......will have to think up a new theory before next July though :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Twix was born grown up I think, since she came home at almost 7 weeks she was a wise old soul, now nearly 14 she is still the same, Roly was a puppy until the day she died :roll: :roll:

Jana is an eternal puppy definitely, Cori is just stoopid but officially not a a puppy in about a month 8O

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
A dog is apuppy until a younger dog comes along into the home. The youngest dog is always referred to as puppy :)

In behaviour terms I think it depends on the dog, Nellie looks very puppy like but really doesn't have many puppy behaviours at 19 weeks.....Basil at the same age was the opposite, looked like an adult but was still into everything.

I always used to wonder why you saw so few lab pups out and about until i got one, then i realised that they grow so fast they don't look pups for long....plus they can barely be out walking for long with the 5 minute rule :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts