Labradors Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Beautiful photos, scenery and dogs :) Black dog on white snow now THAT is challenging :)

·
Administrator
21,294 Posts
I don't quite subscribe to the "shoot 1000 pics and one might come out good" though. I stil strive to shoot when I think time/situation/light is right.
Thats fine if you have time. I was photographing motorcycles passing by at over 120mph. With my Zorki 4 I used to focus at a point on the track before the race started, check the exposure with my meter, then aim to shoot on the same spot each time, opening up a stop or closing a stop as the light changed. With a reasonable depth of field you had a certain latitude. I used to get a contact test strip printed then decide which were worth getting enlarged. In the days of roll 120 roll film I used to develop and contact print, but by the time I started on 35mm I was racing myself so had limited time. I always fancied getting an enlarger, but life is too short to do everything. I took more time on portrait work, had some slave flash units to be more creative with.

My grand father was a professional, had his own studio, and his daughter, my aunt continued, working for Wallace Heaton, in those days a famous London photographic studio and shop after he died. I actually have one of my grand father's cameras. A full plate bellows camera, all brass and rosewood. It has a rudimentary shutter, But I think he preferred to use a lens cap. I put one of my grand father's quarter plate's in my scanner then converted it from negative. This is around 130 years old.

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
I've got loads of slides and negatives from when I lived in Africa that I should really get sorted and onto a computer or storage device, some lovely shots of scenery and animals.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
John, I bought a camera and lenses to take F1 photos. I converted to digital and still have the same lenses but have lost most of the photos. Shame really, loved going to Silverstone.

·
Administrator
21,294 Posts
I have none of my old racing photos left Nicola and I took hundreds over the years. All the old world champions, Hailwood, Agostini, Read, Ivy, Taveri in road racing, Jeff Smith, Dave Bickers, Vic Eastwood and co in Motocross. I dont even have any photos of myself racing! (But I still have the bike. ;) )

·
Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Jphn you would be happy to meet and chat with my older brother. He restores old bikes for a living and is one of those skilled enough to hear a motor from afar and be able to identify the motobike. Seems like magic to me but verified he's not bluffing :) He's particularly fond of British bikes. He traveled a couple of times to the isle of Man for the race. That's a true passion.

·
Administrator
21,294 Posts
Jphn you would be happy to meet and chat with my older brother. He restores old bikes for a living and is one of those skilled enough to hear a motor from afar and be able to identify the motobike. Seems like magic to me but verified he's not bluffing :) He's particularly fond of British bikes. He traveled a couple of times to the isle of Man for the race. That's a true passion.
I went to the Isle Of Man in 1963/64 and 65. The days of Mike Hailwood, Gary Hocking and Jim Redman. Some wonderful bikes in those days, 4 cylinder 500cc Gilera's and MV Augusta, the 6 cylinder 250cc Hondas and the little 50cc Kreidler which had 16 gears! (two 4 speed gear boxes, one with a normal foot change and the other had the gear change on the handlebar like a scooter) Happy days. We used to camp beside the course.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts