Labradors Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trainer has given me details of a seminar for retrievers to help people understand the Kennel Club Field Trial 'J' Regulations. There is an exam at the end of it which you don't have to take. I think it includes lunch so I'm tempted (!). She said it would be useful for me to attend, but I'm wondering, would it be waaaaay too above my level of comprehension (being as I've only watch one bit of a working test and a video clip of a field trial ( :lol: ) or might I get some little snippet of useful information from it?

I'm rather fancying getting dressed-up in Sunday-Best Khaki-fashion (I'm thinking of a Cheltenham Ladies College meets the Pony Club sort of a look) and mingling with True-Khakis, but I don't want to be spotted as soon as I open my mouth as an ignorant imposter!

It's £20, which isn't too bad for a 'life-experience', but I don't want to stand out as a right idiot (as if!!!!)

Should I stay or should I go?!!!

Becs and The Gang

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
I would say that as your interested in the khaki malarky you should go for it, you`ve nothing to lose and everything to gain imo :D

·
Registered
937 Posts
Becs,

I'm going to one of these in September. My understanding is that the day involves a pretty detailed analysis of the J regs and how they should be used in judging scenarios.

Its not really about what the judges are looking for, more about how they can correctly follow the rules and the correct procedure.

I wouldn't suggest that it would be above your head, but I think you might find the subject matter a bit dry coming at it from a newcomers perspective. I'd guess most of the attendees with be people who are either established trial judges, or people just starting off judging.

If you do want to go I would try and get hold of a few Championship DVDs and maybe attend a trial or two first, which I think you'd probably get a lot more out of at this stage.

I posted a link to the J regs a while ago on here : http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/ftopict-60337.html

Matt

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Pleased that Matt posted on this as I was trying to find a nice way of saying the same thing :D

I am constantly being told to study the 'J' regs as I am embarking on entering Field Trials this season, but despite a fair few attempts I get bored and fall asleep a few pages in :oops: . I will keep trying though!!

They are still up on the Sticky section for all to read.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Hi becs, I attended one last autumn. I don't think it would be of great interest to you at the mo. Maybe when you are competing and wanting to know why certain things occured as they have. matt and Jill are quite right, really they are most useful to wannabe judges, established judges looking for the attendance certificate for their judging portfolio or working test or field trial secretaires who need to know the j regs inside out incase something happens.

Come to our puppy test in sept to watch as discussed and you will learn the sort of thing I am certain you would find more useful and interesting such as how a working test day works, what might be expected, what level fellow competitiors are at and so on....

Just my thought knowing what is involved.
Di

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
barney2007 said:
£20 is only a bargain if the lunch is top notch Becs. What do you know about the food on offer?
Hummmm...could just be a cheese sarnie Helen, in which case I'd feel well diddled! :lol:

Thanks for your comments- as I thought, it would be way to lofty for me and I'd be the one sat at the back doing a 24 piece jigsaw puzzle that some kind soul would find to keep be amused! :lol:

Becs and The Gang

1 - 8 of 8 Posts