Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have any training tips to stop their labs from picking up sticks?

I know they will try and pick up most things, and alot i can grab before they are digested, but our puppy Bradley, now 5 months, has a real thing about picing up sticks and trying to chew on them, whilst we are out on our walks with him. Today he grabbed a thorny stick before i got to it, and cut his gum. We tell him no, and try to get their before he does, but i really would like him to stop this habit. Any tips anyone?

Much appreciated-thx in advance :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Why would you want to except in exceptional circumstances ?

I appreciate you might not want him to get hurt - but a wild dog doesn't have humans to help them get through life and they come into contact with unsavory items all the time.

Bradley is unlikely to swallow thorny sticks with any degree of regularity and he'll soon learn they hurt and avoid them.

Sometimes first hand experience is the only way to learn. Let him make some mistakes - it will make him a better more independant dog.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Again :)

Thanks for the advice, hopefully Bradley will learn that on occasions they do hurt him. It was only 2 days ago, that he picked up a large stick with thorns, and he cut all his gums- this is the 3rd time this has happened. I hope he does learn eventually that they do hurt him. :roll:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Do you have Bradley on a lead when you are out walking? If not, you might give that a try. When he goes for something that is not allowed, give him a correction with the command "Leave it". You can practice this by putting some treats/food on the floor/parking lot and walking by with Bradley. When he goes for the food, give him the correction & command. You'll be surprised how fast they catch on. I can do it a couple times with my YF, Hunter & then throw her dumbbell out by the treats. When I send her for the DB, she will make an arc away from the treats to get the DB. I show this to my Beginning Obed. students. It is ssomething good for your Lab to know. 8)

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have Bradley on a lead when you are out walking? If not, you might give that a try. When he goes for something that is not allowed, give him a correction with the command "Leave it". You can practice this by putting some treats/food on the floor/parking lot and walking by with Bradley. When he goes for the food, give him the correction & command. You'll be surprised how fast they catch on. I can do it a couple times with my YF, Hunter & then throw her dumbbell out by the treats. When I send her for the DB, she will make an arc away from the treats to get the DB. I show this to my Beginning Obed. students. It is ssomething good for your Lab to know
Hi Labman57,

Thanks alot for the good advice. We do have Bradley on a lead yes, when we walk him. (Unless we on the beach or in the forest etc) We are definately going to start teaching him to 'leave it', i'm going to try what you advise on his next walk. So far, we have just told him 'no' but he still does it! I know alot of people throw sticks for their dogs to retrieve, we have as well, but have been concerned as now Brad likes sticks more than anything, and usually ends up with cut gums from picking up sticks with thorns in them! Also the splinters worry me.

Just recently, we have let him carry his frisbie, or ball, whilst out walking, this way he can't pick anything else up! lol

I'll let you know how we get on anyway, and thanks again for the advice.

Bye for now
Bradleysmum

1 - 6 of 6 Posts