Labradors Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, as you all seem to good at making things, can someone help me? I discovered at the fun day this weekend that only Fife is steady to a bolting rabbit! So I need to make something that I can, preferably, train the other two with on my own. Tom is good at making things but at this time of year is busy dawn to dusk harvesting (he's a farmer) so really I need to do something myself.

So - - - - - in words of one syllable - - - - what do I have to do? I guess I need thick elastic? I have seen them use baler twine which you wind in, but as it will mainly be me on my own I think that would be difficult to operate and train at the same time. So where do I get the elastic from? (And before any one says it, my knicker elastic isn't long enough!!) ANd do I simply tie one end to a tree and then pull it towards me and let go?

All help gratefully received!

Many thanks

Katy and her unsteady boys!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Do the same as you would to steady a spaniel.
Get some one to walk next to you with a rabbit dummy and throw it fast across the ground infront of the dog. Cheap n easy to make :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lewis. That is good advice. However they are ok with thrown dummies, but it was the fast dash of the rabbit dummy that got them. They sat steady at the time, but then when I released them to hunt in a different direction, they were REALLY drawn to the direction that the "rabbit" had flown in. Oak did stop immediately and handle to the right, but Ash took more convincing! I just thought if it was easy to make something myself, that would be a good idea. ALso I train a lot on my own . . . . :roll: :lol:

Katy

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh Jenny that wouly be great if I could borrow yours for a week or two! Thank you so much!

Where and when will you be anywhere?!! I will pm you my number - probably easiest to talk.

Thanks again

Katy

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I bought mine from Turner Richards in the year dot. It is my most favourite bit of kit. It is great fun. The thrill of the unexpected. If you set it on a slope, make sure the 'rabbit' bolts downhill, it it goes uphill, it tends to snag. You can also strap a dead pheasant to it, I haven't tried a live one......
Sherry

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
funkymonkey said:
if anyone makes one,,, elasticated rope from homebade / bnq on the roll per meter
Fantastic thank you!! Just bought some! Now all I need to do is rig it up, and puppy training here we come!!!

Many thanks, and to dear Jenny too for her kind offer of a loan!

Katy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts