Labradors Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Breeders give them their names and often breeders choose different themes. If you look through mykc you will see your pup and her siblings are all named after countries.

The first part will be their kennel name, unfortunately it's not really ideal that they're breeding without health testing.

·
Administrator
20,587 Posts
A breeder can choose to use an affix, (you can think of almost like a sort of company name,) such as Sandylands, Drakeshead or the like. You choose a name for the affix and providing it is not in use by anyone else you can pay an annual fee and it's yours. All dog's names are unique, so by buying an affix it gives you more choice. (There could be a dog named Fido, another called Sandylands Fido and yet another called Drakeshead Fido!) As to the second part of the name, as ttfan said, people often use themes, (Chloe's litter were named after circus acts, her name being "Ettinsmoor Spice's Clown." Ettinsmoor being the affix and Spice's Clown her name.) Some people use letters, so the first litter's names will all start with A and the second litter B and so on.

John :)

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
I'm sure I will be corrected if I am wrong but if puppies are born to parents who are KC Reg and the breeder has not chosen a kennel name then the puppies can be registered with the "Ken" affix. This affix changes every year and this year it is Kensteen. This will not be a kennel name, just a year of registration, so all different breeds can be a Kensteen.

Hope this makes some sense!!?? 🐾

Chel and Juice xx 🐾🐾

Reactions: Maddie

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
The breeder can also request that the kennel club names the puppies. Griffin's litter had the breeders affix but the KC then gave each puppy a name (some of them weren't what you would have chosen yourself!)

·
Administrator
20,587 Posts
Generally speaking, if a breeder has an affix then there is no reason for the KC to choose the other part of the name because the breeder can choose just about anything. The KC choosing a name only really applies if the breeder does not have an affix in which case the breeder is much more limited in choice. What usually happens then is that the breeder will choose names but give the KC the authority to apply a different name if one or more of the chosen names is unavailable.

Regards, John

·
Registered
120 Posts
Very interesting. I'm in Canada and I got to choose my puppy's name. I had to use the breeder's affix. I gave three choices and got the one closest to what I wanted. Another breeder we looked at, of English Springer Spaniels, requested that potential owners follow a theme but it was not mandatory.

·
Administrator
20,587 Posts
Breeders often use some sort of theme. Many people give their first litter a name starting with A, second litter B and so on. The breeder of my Chloe used a circus theme for Chloe's litter, with Chloe's KC name Spice's Clown (Spice being the house name of Chloe's dam) and the dog she kept Mr Ed after the talking horse. But personally, the most imaginative theme was that used by Mr and the late Mrs Hepworth of Poolstead fame. Every single puppy they bred's name started with "P", and there was dozens of them over the years including Package Holliday, Painter, Past Memory, on to Peepshow and Pegg, to Piccadilly, Pin Up, Pipe Dreamer, Pipe Major and Pipe Smoker, Problem, (I love that one!) Pubcrawler, Purchase Price and on to Puzzle. Their imagination for using P knows no bounds! There really are dozens and dozens bred over very many years. I truly don't know how they managed it!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Oh my, all those "Ps" I worked in broadcasting at one job and the words starting with P were difficult to say. Every day one thing I had to say had, let's see, eight of them in one sentence. All those puffs of air out to say a P, made me light headed. LOL.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So, to clarify, as I'm new to all this pedigree business, there is always a litter name in the pedigree? My Ben has saracena in his name as does his mum so where does that come from?

·
Administrator
20,587 Posts
there is always a litter name in the pedigree?
No. Whether a breeder buys an affix or not is entirely up to them. They can register puppies without owning an affix. I'm not sure of the present rate for buying an affix, but guess it's in the region of £50. But that's not all because you then have to pay the KC a yearly "Maintenance fee" to be able to continue using it. As an example, the breeder of my Anna did not have an affix. Anna's dam's name was Britannia, and Anna's name was Britannia's Seraph.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
In France the allocate a letter to each year, for 2018 it’s O, last year it was N. The kennel name is a suffix rather than an affix.

·
Administrator
20,587 Posts
There is a number of differences between the UK KC and the French KC. France allows a two word affix where the UK only allows one. For example Tintagel Winds is the affix of Felicity Leith-Ross in France, But when her daughter Kira registers a litter here in the UK it has to be Tintagelwinds. :)

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Kira uses her own affix these days, Shork.

Reactions: JohnW
1 - 17 of 17 Posts